Real Estate/tax Gurus in here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Estate/tax Gurus in here!

So, currently, I have a dillema. I bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath townhouse right near the beach here in Hawaii back in 2009. Im currently looking at moving and lets be honest, single male in a three bedroom house is a bit overkill. My options are sell, or rent.

Here's how the situation looks financially. My mortgage is about $1450ish/month, the maintenance fee is $352/month. Other places in the neighborhood are renting from $2200-$2500/month (I'll be on the upper end as I've remodeled and replaced all appliances recently) Or, I could sell. I owe roughly $280k on the place (paid a shade under $300), and the neighbors (identical floorplan) recently sold for $379,000 (it still needed a good bit of remodeling, unlike mine).

So....sell or rent?

Talk to a property management company see if numbers line up. If you can afford to be on the hook for all bills for 2 months then rent. If not sell.

Comment

I'd rent, owning property in Hawaii should be a great investment, especially down the road a few years.

Pay a management company to lease it out, but still collect some profit from it, and eventually sell it when the price doubles or something crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
        I'd rent, owning property in Hawaii should be a great investment, especially down the road a few years.

Pay a management company to lease it out, but still collect some profit from it, and eventually sell it when the price doubles or something crazy!
        This. I'd keep it. Why would you leave Hawaii though? Despite their politics I'd live there in a second.

Comment

which island are you on?

Comment

Leave Hawaii now while you can, cause we all know N Korea is going to Nuke it soon.

Ha ha

Comment

Rent it out.

Comment

Dfwmustangs timeshare?

Comment

Nobody can answer that intelligently unless they know the current state of the market in hawaii and details on the property. Is it class a property? From the numbers you posted sounds like about an 8% cap rate. Is that good or bad right now for your location and property? Hell if I know, but that's the starting point. Maybe Al P has looked into investments in hawaii and can chime in.
                  Last edited by slow99; 04-06-2013, 12:18 PM.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                    Dfwmustangs timeshare?
                    I like this idea. Where do I send my money?

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                      This. I'd keep it. Why would you leave Hawaii though? Despite their politics I'd live there in a second.
                      not looking to leave, just downsizing...Im a single guy in a neighborhood filled with families, kids, etc. For what I pay for this I could get a killer surf shack, or a nice condo in Waikiki.

Originally posted by runin90lx View Post
                      which island are you on?
                      Oahu...

Comment

Originally posted by eastsidetorino View Post
                        not looking to leave, just downsizing...Im a single guy in a neighborhood filled with families, kids, etc. For what I pay for this I could get a killer surf shack, or a nice condo in Waikiki.

Oahu...
                        God I would love to live in a surf shack and be a beach bum.

/daydream

Comment

Working...
                        X