Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing tomatoes? Time to raid your house

Jesus Christ.

LEAWOOD, Kan. (AP) — Two former CIA employees whose Kansas home was fruitlessly searched for marijuana during a two-state drug sweep claim they were illegally targeted, possibly because they had bought indoor growing supplies to raise vegetables.

Adlynn and Robert Harte sued this week to get more information about why sheriff's deputies searched their home in the upscale Kansas City suburb of Leawood last April 20 as part of Operation Constant Gardener — a sweep conducted by agencies in Kansas and Missouri that netted marijuana plants, processed marijuana, guns, growing paraphernalia and cash from several other locations.

April 20 long has been used by marijuana enthusiasts to celebrate the illegal drug and more recently by law enforcement for raids and crackdowns. But the Hartes' attorney, Cheryl Pilate, said she suspects the couple's 1,825-square-foot split level was targeted because they had bought hydroponic equipment to grow a small number of tomatoes and squash plants in their basement.

"With little or no other evidence of any illegal activity, law enforcement officers make the assumption that shoppers at the store are potential marijuana growers, even though the stores are most commonly frequented by backyard gardeners who grow organically or start seedlings indoors," the couple's lawsuit says.

The couple filed the suit this week under the Kansas Open Records Act after Johnson County and Leawood denied their initial records requests, with Leawood saying it had no relevant records. The Hartes say the public has an interest in knowing whether the sheriff's department's participation in the raids was "based on a well-founded belief of marijuana use and cultivation at the targeted addresses, or whether the raids primarily served a publicity purpose."

"If this can happen to us and we are educated and have reasonable resources, how does somebody who maybe hasn't led a perfect life supposed to be free in this country?" Adlynn Harte said in an interview Friday.

The suit filed in Johnson County District Court said the couple and their two children — a 7-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son — were "shocked and frightened" when deputies armed with assault rifles and wearing bulletproof vests pounded on the door of their home around 7:30 a.m. last April 20.
    "It was just like on the cops TV shows," Robert Harte told The Associated Press. "It was like 'Zero Dark Thirty' ready to storm the compound."

During the sweep, the court filing said, the Hartes were told they had been under surveillance for months, but the couple "know of no basis for conducting such surveillance nor do they believe such surveillance would have produced any facts supporting the issuance of a search warrant."
    Harte said he built the hydroponic garden with his son a couple of years ago. He said they didn't use the powerful light bulbs that are sometimes used to grow marijuana and that the family's electricity usage didn't change dramatically. Changes in utility usage can sometimes lead authorities to such operations.

When law enforcement arrived, the family had just six plants — three tomato plants, one melon plant and two butternut squash plants — growing in the basement, Harte said.

The suit also said deputies "made rude comments" and implied their son was using marijuana. A drug-sniffing dog was brought in to help, but deputies ultimately left after providing a receipt stating, "No items taken."

Pilate said no one in the Harte family uses illegal drugs and no charges were filed. The lawsuit noted Adlynn Harte, who works for a financial planning firm, and Robert Harte, who cares for the couple's children, each were required to pass rigorous background checks for their previous jobs working for the CIA in Washington, D.C. Pilate said she couldn't provide any other details about their CIA employment.

Pilate said any details gleaned from the open records suit could be used in a future federal civil rights lawsuit.

"You can't go into people's homes and conduct searches without probable cause," Pilate said.

Leawood City Administrator Scott Lambers said Friday that he couldn't comment on pending litigation. The sheriff's office also had no comment.
    "Obviously with an ongoing lawsuit we are not able to talk about any details of it until it's been played out in court," said Johnson County Deputy Tom Erickson

I see the rubber stamp warrant system is working great.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      I see the rubber stamp warrant system is working great.
      That's the weird part, I can't find in the article where they had a warrant ? Did I miss that ?

Comment

I hope they nail their asses in a civil rights lawsuit. People have the right to be secure in their homes and belongings. Guess the tactical outfitted head thumpers received a order and stomped off with a "Yes sir!" and executed.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
          That's the weird part, I can't find in the article where they had a warrant ? Did I miss that ?
          This is the only mention of it:
          [qupte]During the sweep, the court filing said, the Hartes were told they had been under surveillance for months, but the couple "know of no basis for conducting such surveillance nor do they believe such surveillance would have produced any facts supporting the issuance of a search warrant."
          [/quote]

Authorities will act like authoritarians until they are challenged and checked every time.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
            I hope they nail their asses in a civil rights lawsuit. People have the right to be secure in their homes and belongings. Guess the tactical outfitted head thumpers received a order and stomped off with a "Yes sir!" and executed.

While I agree, we ultimately end up paying for their incompetence as tax payers. Pisses me the fuck off.

Comment

So if you are manhandled as they gain entry, can you not counter with battery since their visit was in the end unjust?

Comment

I guess common sense has been ordered out of law enforcement.

I better quit growing that mint for mojitos or I'm going to have to replace my front door....

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  So if you are manhandled as they gain entry, can you not counter with battery since their visit was in the end unjust?
                  Grenade with a modified fuse, a string, and some distance.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    I guess common sense has been ordered out of law enforcement.

I better quit growing that mint for mojitos or I'm going to have to replace my front door....
                    Just be okay with your door being kicked, knocked or blown down as an everyday thing and whatever you do, don't shoot whoever comes through. Your mint will turn to dope and you good name will turn to mud quicker than you can get stuffed into the ice truck. At fault will lie with the dead.

Comment

This is so much fucking fail.

Comment

Pay with cash, problem solved

Comment

Seems like they're just lucky that the house was really entirely clean.

Something similar happened to my brother about a year ago when he moved into a new apartment. Four days after he moved in Northlake PD kicked his door in with a search warrant. Unfortunately he sucks at lying, so when the cops threatened him with years in jail unless he told them everything, he told them right where his small stash of weed was. Literally like only a couple of bowls worth. And 3 hydrocodone pills that weren't in a bottle.
                          They still kept him in cuffs at his apartment for over 2 hours questioning him and tearing that place up, before they took him in.

He was charged with having like a half-pound of weed (they weighed it in the box) and possession of a controlled substance/intent to sell.

A few months ago we got the affidavit that was filed to get the warrant.
                          They had suspected him of "Selling Illegal Fire Arms"

Apparently an overheard conversation about guns is enough for a search warrant. So be careful how loudly you talk about playing Call of Duty, you never know who's going to be listening.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hurst PD came to my brother's house a couple years ago. He had changed the locks after his wife moved out and wouldn't let her in so she sat in the drive way and dialed away. HPD's finest pulled up, went to the door and knocked. My brother told them to go away and she could not come in she moved out "go ask her". They did and yep she told them I moved out and filed for divorce. HPD asked to be let in. "No thanks, I am fine in here by myself". This went on for 30 minutes until they looked down and saw a shipment on the porch marked 5.56 1,000rds. The asked the ex about "guns in the house". Yep he has them. They asked my brother the same thing "what business is it of yours?" They questioned the ammo on the porch. He told them the name on the ship to did not match his name and he did not own a gun that shot that ammo. I still picture my smart ass brother, who has been arrested more times than he can count, was sitting on the recliner drinking a beer laughing his ass off. Hell no he wasn't letting them in, nor was he coming out either. Not breaking the law......this time.

Comment

cops always ask me if they can search my car during traffic stops.

Comment

Working...
                              X