Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get a homebuilt trailer tagged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get a homebuilt trailer tagged?

I have a small 4 x 8 trailer built from scrap that was my granddad's I want to use. Title is long gone and so is my granddad. How do I get tags for it? What does it cost? Does it have to have some serial number stamped on it?

If I recall correctly, it's as simple as hitting your local DMV/Tag place and telling them you built yourself a little trailer and need a tag for it. A picture of it might be beneficial, but I believe that's about it. They'll ask you its size and axle number and weight or use and what not, and take it from there. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pencil View Post
      If I recall correctly, it's as simple as hitting your local DMV/Tag place and telling them you built yourself a little trailer and need a tag for it. A picture of it might be beneficial, but I believe that's about it. They'll ask you its size and axle number and weight or use and what not, and take it from there. Good luck.
      This.

Comment

Depending on the county it might not be as easy as walking in .I tried to get one of mine done here in johnson county. They require you to takebit to the sheriffs dept and have it verified and signed off on. And photos r required. If I remember correctly. This was about two years ago. Mine is still sitting with no tags. Just havnt got around to making an appointment to have it inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
          Depending on the county it might not be as easy as walking in .I tried to get one of mine done here in johnson county. They require you to takebit to the sheriffs dept and have it verified and signed off on. And photos r required. If I remember correctly. This was about two years ago. Mine is still sitting with no tags. Just havnt got around to making an appointment to have it inspected.
          They have been doing this because people steal trailers like crazy.
          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Ya its kinda scary...the only thing that shows I own my 16' is the plate. Its homemade as well. They even told me that at the dmv.

Comment

I registered my trailers at the DMV with no problems, and I'm in Dallas county. They either asked me the cost or what it was worth, I told them $500, paid $60 or so, got a license plate and walked out the door. I believe the only other thing. They asked me was what color it was. Of course, living in Dallas county, I had to wait an hour in line, but other than that, no problems.

Comment

I register mine as a Farm Trailer now....less than $20 for a year.
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I walked into the office, I told them it was a homemade trailer constructed by me, they asked me the empty weight and the max loaded weight, gave me the total, I paid my money and they gave me my tag. It is that simple if the trailer is rated at less than 3500 lbs. I am not sure how it could be any different in other counties since it is a state registration.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I have to get my 21ft HomeBuilt Car trailer tagged as a Car Trailer
                    GOD BLESS TEXAS
                    August Landscaping
                    214-779-7278
                    Seb's high class.
                    He'll mow your grass.
                    He'll kick your ass.
                    And while his kidney stones pass,
                    He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

I had to take a couple of pics of it and take them to the subcourt house. Fill out the form and viola. My trailer had a title but my brother lost it when he gave me the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                      X