Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling car to buyer out of state...(scam?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling car to buyer out of state...(scam?)

So, I thought I would sell my car and was contacted by a buyer in California. I sent pictures and we agreed on the price.

I get a Paypal instant payment for $500 from him to show he is serious.

At this point I figured he would make arrangements to see the car in person or have it visually and mechanically inspected.

Instead we start a series of emails and phone calls on where to send a wire transfer.

He sent me a copy of his DL and asked if I would do the same. I did. I cut out all info accept my name and address.

Next, he asked for a copy of the title. I told him I didn't have a copy. The bank holds the lien and they have the copy.

Then he asked for a copy of my registration. I talked to my bank and they said not to give him any personal information. My bank says his bank can call them and they will work out the detail. Once the money is safe, they will release the title.

I tell this to the buyer and he asks if I can provide proof of insurance on the car. I take my insurance card and cut all the policy info out. The card shows the Make, model, and VIN. I lay the card next to the VIN on the dash and take a picture to show the VINs match.

Now he asks if I would authorize my bank to talk to him.

I say no and tell him I am done. He tells me he just got took on another deal and doesn't want anything to go wrong again.

He claims to have asked his bank to verify the loan account I gave him is tied to my car and his bank says they can't. My bank says they can.

He was supposed to call me today but he never did.

I can understand he has never met me or even seen my car. How is he to know that I really own it.

Do you think he is trying to run a scam?

How can I remove doubt that I have this car?

Am I just being paranoid?

Way too much bullshit to sell a car. Scam or not, I'd move on.

Comment

I'd wait until that 500 is sitting in your pocket because he can contact Paypal and draw back his money anytime. You've shown him you have the vehicle and it's insured as it sits. Tell him if he doesn't want to talk to his bank about handling things, thank you for the $500, next time actually close the sale. Who buys a vehicle without seeing it? How do you know it's actually his DL he showed you?

He doesn't doubt you have the car. There's a ton of things that could go wrong for you on this.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

SCAM...get out now. Thats a whole lot of BS.. What kind of car ?

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
          scam...get out now. Thats a whole lot of bs.. What kind of car ?
          gt500kr

Comment

I wouldnt mess with all that.

Comment

anybody who's serious about a deal like that would be talking on the phone IMO

as soon as somebody asked for a copy of my DL, I wouldn't even reply
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                anybody who's serious about a deal like that would be talking on the phone IMO

as soon as somebody asked for a copy of my DL, I wouldn't even reply
                I think the reason he sent me a copy of his DL was to establish trust on my end. It worked, I sent him a copy of mine (minus some info).

Just like the $500. He sent it as a "gift". Re-playing it, I think I would have added some kind of note stating it was a down payment for a car.

I agree with the recommendations. I'm out of this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by dvups1 View Post
                  I think the reason he sent me a copy of his DL was to establish trust on my end. It worked, I sent him a copy of mine (minus some info).

Just like the $500. He sent it as a "gift". Re-playing it, I think I would have added some kind of note stating it was a down payment for a car.

I agree with the recommendations. I'm out of this deal.
                  If he added a note like that PayPal would not consider it a "gift" and could charge you the 3% fee.

Comment

Bought cars multiple times online that have lien on them. Instead of doing escrow I contact sellers bank get payoff and details on where to send payment. Send 1 wire to bank send 1 wire to seller done and done. Allow bank to tell buyer where payoff goes to and how much . Its not like he can steal the title or something thru just a address and payment amount.

Comment

Sounds fairly legit due to phone calls, but you can use a 100% fake phone number (iphone apps that use remote offshore cell towers, go-phones), so I'd just say screw it. It's goon be a big PITA even if it is real
                      Originally posted by Buzzo
                      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                        Bought cars multiple times online that have lien on them. Instead of doing escrow I contact sellers bank get payoff and details on where to send payment. Send 1 wire to bank send 1 wire to seller done and done. Allow bank to tell buyer where payoff goes to and how much . Its not like he can steal the title or something thru just a address and payment amount.
                        I gave him my bank's number. He has the routing number and the loan number. The bank claims if he calls and asks if the loan is securing my vin, they will confirm and accept his payment.

The remaining amount will be sent to me.

I just need to provide him with some kind of proof that I own and have the car.

He doesn't trust me and I am leary of him.

Comment

Have him talk to your bank. I do not see any flags with this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                            Have him talk to your bank. I do not see any flags with this deal.
                            This is an excellent way to do it...He'll be going up against a bank, not an individual.
                            Originally posted by Buzzo
                            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Thats alot of back & fourth to sell a car. If it smells like shit, Its prolly shit!
                              GOD BLESS TEXAS
                              August Landscaping
                              214-779-7278
                              Seb's high class.
                              He'll mow your grass.
                              He'll kick your ass.
                              And while his kidney stones pass,
                              He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Working...
                              X