2011 Mustang 5.0 Rental!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Mustang 5.0 Rental!

Had a 2011 Mustang V6 for a rental last week in NorCal and was able to grab a new 5.0 this week in SoCal...having lots of fun with it.

I really like the sound of the 5.0 engine, and it's got plenty of power! But, I was more impressed overall with the V6! It had more power than I even expected and would be pretty fun with a 6spd!

Very impressed with both vehicles, but the interior still needs some work. They put a 12V outlet right in the center of the dash (above the radio) that makes no sense to me, but I really like the Sync system!

Does anyone know what the button on the side of the shifter does?? It turns a light on on the dash that shows a car going down an decline...almost like downhill descent control. Anyone know what that does?

If I can find a spot I'll go shoot a little vid...hehehe.

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
    They put a 12V outlet right in the center of the dash (above the radio) that makes no sense to me,
    Radar detector, GPS, etc.

Comment

That actually makes sense now that you mention it. I don't use either, so it never occurred to me and it didn't seem like a logical place to want to plug a phone in.

Just did a couple of John Force-style burnouts....so much fun!

Comment

Does anyone know what the button on the side of the shifter does?? It turns a light on on the dash that shows a car going down an decline...almost like downhill descent control. Anyone know what that does?

Its this new technology that came out with the 2011's that actually takes the car out of overdrive. You are correct it is down hill descent control.
        sigpic
        '13 GT Boss302 intake, Lethal OR/X, Magnaflow Street catback
        99 Trans Am M6 little Voodoo cam some suspension stuff .....

Comment

Who do you rent from? I usually use National and have never seen a Mustang on the lot when I'm looking.
          - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
          1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
            Who do you rent from? I usually use National and have never seen a Mustang on the lot when I'm looking.
            Avis and Hertz rent Camaros and Mustangs. Hertz even has a few mercs and infinitis in Albuquerque but the price per day is rediculous!

Comment

Originally posted by JarHeadTex View Post

Its this new technology that came out with the 2011's that actually takes the car out of overdrive. You are correct it is down hill descent control.
              why would you need that in a mustang?

Comment

I rented this one through Avis...used some upgrades that I had and sweet-talked the girl at the counter into giving it to me for $68/day. That's still kinda steep considering I pay $38/day for a full-size, but it's a damn cool rental car.

Hard to find a spot out here in Orange County to really let it rip though. There are motorcycle cops all over on the highways and real estate is so expensive that there just aren't a lot of big open parking lots to play around in. I also have to be careful not to completely fry the tires. I've been doing some big, smoky launches going up the freeway on-ramps, and since the car has 15k miles on it, the tires are far from new (I'm sure I'm not the only one burning a little rubber).

The Avis where I picked it up (Ontario, CA airport) had Hemi Challengers too...maybe next time.

I did notice that when I punched it on the highway with the "descent control" feature off that it held 3rd gear when I let off the gas. Not sure how that's an advantage really, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
                  I rented this one through Avis...used some upgrades that I had and sweet-talked the girl at the counter into giving it to me for $68/day. That's still kinda steep considering I pay $38/day for a full-size, but it's a damn cool rental car.

Hard to find a spot out here in Orange County to really let it rip though.

The Avis where I picked it up (Ontario, CA airport) had Hemi Challengers too...maybe next time.

I did notice that when I punched it on the highway with the "descent control" feature off that it held 3rd gear when I let off the gas. Not sure how that's an advantage really, but whatever.
                  On the 405 and 101 I let the c6 vette rental I was in 'breathe' quite a bit and saw no cops.

Comment

Happen to have a link on the Avis site to the GT's?
                    Can't seem to find them.

Comment

No, I just happen to see it sitting out on the lot and asked about using an upgrade and getting a weekend rate to keep the cost down as much as possible. The variety of cars varies dramatically from town-to-town, seemingly without any rhyme or reason.

I know that Avis carries a lot of "premium" cars up in Canada. When you get a mustang, it's a GT and when you get a Chrystler 300, it's a 300C. I got a mustang GT up there once several years ago, but usually get stuck in a shitty little Mercedes micro car or some retarded little Nissan.

I was on the 405 yesterday on my way down to Newport Beach and there was this dickhead in a Boxster weaving through traffic. He cut me off and I entertained pulling up next to him to humiliate him, but better sense got the best of me (had my buddy's "prescription" on me and didn't want to have to explain that to a cop...even though it's just a $100 fine now). Five miles up the road, Highway Patrol had the Boxster dickhead pulled over. Close call.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                        Can't even seem to find a '11 v-6 in Tampa or Orlando.
                        Would love to test drive a GT for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                        X