The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Censored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Censored

I could have sworn I read something about this on here but a search netted nothing.

This makes my stomach turn. How can a rapper go out and drop the N word every 5 seconds but this American classic has to be changed to be fit for consumption?

This is just another case of the government having their nose where it doesn't belong.

It's a fucking book about a kid riding a raft down a river, but it's too dangerous to be read because it will taint our minds? what the hell?

Here's the kicker, you'll still be able to go to your local Barnes and Noble and get a fresh copy of Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto or The Anarchist Cookbook with your 9 dollar coffee.

Fuck this, rant/

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn has been censored, found unfit historical literature for readers and rewritten. A new edition of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn omits a racial epithet that has caused controversy since the book took its place decades ago on the shelf of great American literature. In place of the word n - - - - -, the word "slave" will be substituted in a combined edition of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, to be published next month by NewSouth Books.

Professor, Alan Gribben, of English at Auburn University-Montgomery, says his new edition is for readers who cannot get past the slur to take in the rest of the book — and thereby understand Twain's opposition to racism.

Both Banning and censoring books happens almost every week in the United States. Often people take notice of banned books, protest, and the banned is lifted. Sometimes nobody notices and the banned book stays lost to a school or country. When a book is lost so is a piece of our history.

Censorship in all forms must be opposed in the United States; it is an old pastime and hobby of many without thought of preserving our literary history.

We, the people of United States, have a history. We have been far from perfect, our thoughts, deeds, and written words have evolved. The idea of losing or out right changing our literary history is against The First Amendment that was adopted on December 15, 1791. The Amendment states:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

The American Revolution was not just a revolution of politics but also literature. The colonists published an abundance of newspaper articles, books, essays, and pamphlets in opposition to numerous forms of British tyranny. Thomas Paine's Common Sense (1776) and Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence (1776) are two well-known and influential examples of revolutionary literature.

In the spirit of our history do we want people rewriting our literature? Is it better to pretend our literature history was written “politically correct” according to our standards? Wouldn’t it be better to teach our children to read critically? To not be controlled by books, movies, games... but to be able to think and speak with purpose about what they read, see or do. To learn and understand words and be able to discuss their meaning and improperness’ in today’s society. Perhaps we might be better to honor and embrace our past literature, read it with our children. Discuss it as a family and make an informed decision as a family of our values.

R.R.Cratty
    An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Heard about that on the radio. Fucking bullshit. I am so sick of this modern society not looking at things IN CONTEXT.

Comment

That is totally bullshit. Fuck this PC shit. This is America and like the man said above we have been far from perfect but we are still a great country except for when shit like this is done
      99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
      going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

We're changing it, "in case," people can't get past the N word? Fuck those putos.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          We're changing it, "in case," people can't get past the N word? Fuck those putos.
          If they can't get past the N word then they won't really be able to comprehend how against slavery Twain really was.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

So are we still going to be able to get the original book, or will this replace it on bookstore/library shelves?
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

White guilt. Niggers can't read.

Comment

"There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. Every minority, be it Baptist/Unitarian, Irish/Italian/Octogenarian/Zen Buddhist, Zionist/Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib/Republican, Mattachine/FourSquareGospel feels it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse. Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme."

—Ray Bradbury

-Victor Hugo

Comment

if they are so against the n wordm why do they use it in every sentence especially when wanting to sound "tough"?

Comment

Changing History to be politically correct. This is getting ridiculous. Every time I see something like this I ask, what next? Then the next thing is just as bad as the last.

Comment

That was my favorite book as a kid...

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFALOHALTOM View Post
                        if they are so against the n wordm why do they use it in every sentence especially when wanting to sound "tough"?
                        First of all, I doubt the word "nigger" caused much of a controversy ever since the book hit shelves like the article says. Keep in mind, the book hit shelves in the late 1800's. Secondly, is it black people that want this done, or pussy ass white people that feel guilty for something they never did?
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
                          If they can't get past the N word then they won't really be able to comprehend how against slavery Twain really was.
                          Exactly.

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          White guilt. Niggers can't read.
                          LMAO! /thread
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
                            First of all, I doubt the word "nigger" caused much of a controversy ever since the book hit shelves like the article says. Keep in mind, the book hit shelves in the late 1800's. Secondly, is it black people that want this done, or pussy ass white people that feel guilty for something they never did?
                            I'll bet is some fucking white guy - the same one that wants the Redskins, Brave, and Indians to change their logos. And that guy(and all that think like him) can fuck off.

Comment

bunch of pussy-ass libs with their pc bullshit....
                              "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X