Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trucks and Toddlers... how'd it work for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post

That is the silliest shit I've ever heard. That's about the equivalent of saying a doctor only tells you to stop smoking because they're just being a parrot to what the govt says. Let's disregard tons of studies that show higher injury rates for forward facing infants/toddlers and go with the doctor/govt conspiracy.

OP, talk to your pediatrician. Any doctor worth a shit isn't going to recommend forward facing at a year, regardless of height or weight. My 20 month old is 33 lbs and almost 3 feet tall and still rides rear facing because we bought the proper car seat and installed it properly. I'm not willing to chance it with my kid.
    That's a big kid. My 3 year old is 3 foot tall and 31 pounds.
    Our seat started off as a rear seat that laid somewhat flat for the infant. It clips into a base which is held in by the seat belt. Since it lays flat, it takes up at least a foot forward and can make your passenger in the front seat uncomfortable or impossible to have.

At ten pounds or so, you take the base out and just use the seat and rear face it. This doesn't take nearly as much space but apparently you have to keep it rear facing for two years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
      Yes, but she'll need that car seat in the middle seat, preferably. Also, where is she putting that stroller? Those bad boys are huge .
      City mini = fucking awesome.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        That's a big kid. My 3 year old is 3 foot tall and 31 pounds.
        Our seat started off as a rear seat that laid somewhat flat for the infant. It clips into a base which is held in by the seat belt. Since it lays flat, it takes up at least a foot forward and can make your passenger in the front seat uncomfortable or impossible to have.

At ten pounds or so, you take the base out and just use the seat and rear face it. This doesn't take nearly as much space but apparently you have to keep it rear facing for two years now.
        It really seems to change from Doctor to Doctor. Our little dude is now forward facing at 18 months. He is 31 inches and 26lbs.

Comment

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...on/carseat.htm

Child Passenger Safety Information

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Passenger Safety and Safety Belt Use (PDF)
          The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) issued new recommendations in their April 2011 publication, Pediatrics, addressing best practice when transporting children. This is not a change in Texas statute, however, parents and caregivers are encouraged to follow the new AAP Guidelines (PDF) when transporting children.
          Hyperthermia (heat stroke/heat related) Deaths: Last year there were 49 children in the U.S. killed by hyperthermia (heat-stroke). Unfortunately, Texas led the nation with 13 of those deaths. Never Leave Your Child Alone in a Car, a Safe Kids Wordwide program, is dedicated to educating the public about this issue. For information on how you can prevent child hyperthermia deaths from occurring, visit Safe Kids.
          The following presentations are designed to help answer questions that law enforcement officers and the general public may have concerning the changes to the child safety seat and occupant safety laws: 545.412 and 545.413
          DPS Basic Child Passenger Safety PDF | PPT
          Child Passenger Safety Best Practice Recommendations
          Phase 1

Rear-Facing Seats

Infants: Birth - 35 pounds. Rear-facing infant or rear-facing convertible safety seat as long as possible,up to the rear-facing height or weight limit of the seat. Properly install rear-facing in the back seat.

Phase 2

Forward-facing Seats

When children outgrow the rear-facing safety seat, they should ride in a forward-facing safety seat as long as possible, up to the upper height or weight limit (40 - 80 pounds) of the harnesses. Usually 4+ years old. Properly installed forward-facing in the back seat. NEVER turn forward-facing before 1 year old AND 20-22 pounds.

Phase 3

Booster Seats

After age 4 and 40+ pounds, children can ride in a booster seat with the adult lap and shoulder belt until the adult safety belt will fit them properly (usually when the child is 4'9" tall).
          MUST have a lap/shoulder belt to use a booster seat.

Phase 4

Adult Safety Belt

Once children outgrow their booster seat (usually at 4'9", 100 pounds) they can use the adult safety belt if it fits them properly.
          Lap portion low over the hips/tops of thighs and shoulder belt crosses the center of the shoulder and center of the chest.

Children are better protected the longer they can stay in each phase. Keep children in each seat up to the maximum age/weight/height limits before moving to the next phase.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Started with an f250 and an excursion and the gt with the first kid....now an f250 and a expedition el and the gt on the second....the car seat is a pain no matter what. They are heavy and awkward.
            But I would rather have the room and size of the bigger vehicles.....we can't all get in the GT anymore so the baby rarely ever goes in it. I hated getting our oldest in and out of the GT. The bigger vehicle was easier to manuver (sp?) around in.

Comment

these car dealers must love it when people come in to buy these no resale gas hogs! it's like winning the lottery for 'em

Comment

2012 F150 Supercrew with a 1 year old and a 9 year old. It is so much easier to load the baby into the truck than it ever was in the mustangs or even the wife's charger.
                Jon

Comment

No complaints from my ex when she drove with our daughter in my crew cab titan. She actually preferred the truck to both of her sedans. Plenty of interior space as well.

Comment

2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

LOL, I saw that shit all the time in Vietnam, but on mopeds. They just hold onto the kids with one arm... and the parents are all geared up, but the kids aren't.

Comment

On our 3rd Yukon XL and our first batch of wallet leaches were twins! She'll be fine,.
                        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X