Wine Aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Aficionados

Looking to broaden my tastes into red wine territory. I really have almost no education in it. My current tastes include dark beers, stouts and ales, along the lines of Spaten Oktoberfest, Spaten Optimator, Maredsous 8, etc. I also enjoy Bookers and Woodford Reserve and Woodford Double Oak, as well as pretty much any quality bourbon although those 3 are my favorites. Obviously I like a rather heavy rich flavor when it comes to alcoholic beverages, so give me some ideas how to translate this into wine territory.

Cabernet would be heavy and rich. Malbec is quite bold as well and is my personal favorite. Supply of it has picked up over the years as well. 5 years ago, it was only 2 or 3 shelves worth. Now you can find several shelves of it.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

You would probably like Chianti. It's very dry and bold.

Comment

I am not an aficiando, but i do like trying different wines. Get yourself a few decent glasses to start with.

This is the most important thing, you don't have to spend alot for a good wine. Ai have found some incredible wines upwards of $25 and then i've found some that blow those out of the water for $8 at a Tom Thumb.

There are some box wines (a malbec if i recall) that is actually pretty decent when i just want a glass. ($15, equiv of 3-4 bottles)

Best thing you can do is just start drinking to figure out what level of dryness you like (some are like sucking on cotton balls). Others are fruity, some are peaty. Start at the bottom of the shelves and when you find something you like, take note and make future decisions off that.

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
          Cabernet would be heavy and rich. Malbec is quite bold as well and is my personal favorite. Supply of it has picked up over the years as well. 5 years ago, it was only 2 or 3 shelves worth. Now you can find several shelves of it.
          Coming from the guy that shared a bottle of White Zinfandel with Elvis while wearing matching ascots....

Comment

Check out anything by V. Sattui vinyards.
            Ded

Comment

Fag.

God bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'd imagine peaty would be my go-to, if I want dry I'll have a dirty martini. Picked up a couple bottles at Albertsons. The adventure begins.

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                Fag.

God bless.

You own a cat. Goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  You own a cat. Goodbye.
                  He's dead. Thanks asshole.

God bless.
                  It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

God bless.

Aww, that sucks. I was thinking about you bouncing that bucket of cat litter off that guys hood as I was threading my way through the busy grocery store parking lot earlier.

Comment

God bless.
                      Damn, RIP Taco.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I've heard of one by Oscar Meyer, Weiner or something liek that. Leah says it's really good.

Comment

I like red blends, merlot, & malbec. Not a fan of straight cabernet. I've been on a cupcake vinyards kick, but like to try different brands. You could always go the "buy the coolest bottle" route. Lol
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
                            I like red blends, merlot, & malbec. Not a fan of straight cabernet. I've been on a cupcake vinyards kick, but like to try different brands. You could always go the "buy the coolest bottle" route. Lol
                            There are other ways!?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              There are other ways!?
                              Use this simple formula to get your drink on in the most economical way:

bottle volume * alcohol content percentage / price

The higher this number, the cheaper it is to get drunk.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X