2 NJ men sue Subway over false foot longs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 NJ men sue Subway over false foot longs

I'm don't want to live on this planet anymore!!

By GEOFF MULVIHILL Associated Press
    January 23, 2013 (AP)

Two New Jersey men sued Subway this week, claiming the world's biggest fast-food chain has been shorting them by selling so-called footlong sandwiches that measure a bit less than 12 inches.

The suit, filed Tuesday in Superior Court in Mount Holly, may be the first legal filing aimed at the sandwich shops after an embarrassment went viral last week when someone posted a photo of a footlong and a ruler on the company's Facebook page to show that the sandwich was not as long as advertised.

At the time, the company issued a statement saying that the sandwich length can vary a bit when franchises do not bake to the exact corporate standards.

Stephen DeNittis, the lawyer for the plaintiffs in the New Jersey suit, said he's seeking class-action status and is also preparing to file a similar suit in Pennsylvania state court in Philadelphia.

He said he's had sandwiches from 17 shops measured — and every one came up short.

"The case is about holding companies to deliver what they've promised," he said.

Even though the alleged short of a half-inch or so of bread is relatively small, it adds up, he said. Subway has 38,000 stores around the world, nearly all owned by franchisees and its $5 footlong specials have been a mainstay of the company's ads for five years.

DeNittis said both plaintiffs — John Farley, of Evesham and Charles Noah Pendrack, of Ocean City — came to him after reading last week about the short sandwiches.

DeNittis is asking for compensatory damages for his client and a change in Subway's practices.

The Milford, Conn.-based firm should either make sure its sandwiches measure a full foot or stop advertising them as such.

He points to how McDonald's quarter-pounders are advertised as being that weight before they are cooked.

Subway did not immediately return a call to The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Still a dumb ass reason to sue and ask to get paid for it. Just another dumbass trying to make an easy buck.

Comment

Chicks better not start doing this shit!
      Ded

Comment

Sounds like a good reason to sue. They should advertise 11" sandwiches for 5 dollars
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Jake98SVT View Post
          Still a dumb ass reason to sue and ask to get paid for it. Just another dumbass trying to make an easy buck.
          I agree with Frost. Would it be ok to advertise a 10" sandwich as a "footlong"?

Footlong means 12 inches, period. They know exactly what they are doing.

Comment

Subway ruining lives one sandwich at a time.
            '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
            '13 Dodge Cummins
            '14 Rubicon X

Comment

It's fucking bread. Is it even possible to ensure every single piece is 12"??
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
                It's fucking bread. Is it even possible to ensure every single piece is 12"??
                Only by overcooking and cutting it back to size, which means lost profit.

Free loaders don't care about the bottom line though.
                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Is it even possible to ensure every single piece is 12"??
                  Are you serious?

A tape measure.

Comment

Same way that McDonald's ensures their 1/4 pounder is. You measure it.
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                      Are you serious?

A tape measure.
                      So they bake the bread, then measure it, then throw it out if its not exactly 12"?
                      That's disgustingly wasteful IMO.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to get that Jared money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          Same way that McDonald's ensures their 1/4 pounder is. You measure it.
                          You can measure the weight of meat accurately every time, but like mike said, you'd have to make it bigger & cut it down every time. Makes no sense.

Greedy bastards.
                          sigpic

Comment

Y
                            So they bake the bread, then measure it, then throw it out if its not exactly 12"?
                            That's disgustingly wasteful IMO.
                            Or make a 6" and kids size with the non 12" bread.... Or not call it a fucking footlong

Comment

I'm gonna sue Chik Fill-a for teeching me to spell incorrectly. I thought chikin was the proper spelling for years!

If the bread shrinks after cooking, just say it's a foot long before cooking , like Micky D's does with the burgers. The old "some settling of contents may have occurred during shipping" routine...

Comment

Working...
                              X