vintage plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage plates

Anyone bought some era correct plates off CL or ebay and had then registered through DPS? Ive heard you can get a era correct plate, register it at the DPS office as a classic plate. That true? Anyone heard of this?

It can be done... I don't know the details though.

Comment

Yes, if your vehicle is 25 years old or older and if you have a set of year matching plates you can register them to your car. I have them for all 5 of my classics.

For Antique registration, you will need the VTR-54 form, 2 plates and the registration fees (54.30 for 5 years but its prorated $10 a year, this round expired 2013) and take them with your insurance to the tax office. Remember that there are driving restrictions for antique registration.

For classic, VTR-850 form. Non restricted driving but you will still have yearly safety inspection.

Comment

What year is that Fairlane?
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

have the plates "registered " before you have 'em restored. If you have a set that needs to be restored, pm me. I've got a buddy that does plates from all over the country. Talented guy.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
            Yes, if your vehicle is 25 years old or older and if you have a set of year matching plates you can register them to your car. I have them for all 5 of my classics.

For Antique registration, you will need the VTR-54 form, 2 plates and the registration fees (54.30 for 5 years but its prorated $10 a year, this round expired 2013) and take them with your insurance to the tax office. Remember that there are driving restrictions for antique registration.

For classic, VTR-850 form. Non restricted driving but you will still have yearly safety inspection.
            Yep, I got some 1966 Plates that were used in Houston, only 5 digits...pretty sweet.

As far as the "antique restrictions" I drive my Stang whenever I get a chance and have yet to be hassled. I guess if you ever do get pulled over, just say you are on your way to a car show or to a garage (which you can easily change your course to not be lying)

Comment

I have a set of '71 year model plates on my Mustang, and had no restrictions on when and where I can drive it. I think it was an additional $40 fee to use them, and the tax place had to visually inspect them.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I have a set of 68 plates and I love them. 68 was the year of the worlds fair in San Antonio and they say "Hemisphere" on them. Also they are a black plate which is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                  As far as the "antique restrictions" I drive my Stang whenever I get a chance and have yet to be hassled. I guess if you ever do get pulled over, just say you are on your way to a car show or to a garage (which you can easily change your course to not be lying)
                  Shh.... Don't ruin it for us.

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                  I have a set of '71 year model plates on my Mustang, and had no restrictions on when and where I can drive it. I think it was an additional $40 fee to use them, and the tax place had to visually inspect them.

Stevo
                  Yep, that is the 'Classic' registration. It is really just a vanity plate at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
                    I have a set of 68 plates and I love them. 68 was the year of the worlds fair in San Antonio and they say "Hemisphere" on them. Also they are a black plate which is cool.
                    "HEMISFAIR"

There is some discussion on the usability of YOM plates in Texas. Read here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=527420

I have some for my Chrysler...

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

That Spaceballs sig almost got me busted looking at the board at work, Danny.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I have heard that they have to be registered by Jan 31st. Was told they will stop registering them after that date because they are going to start reissuing the numbers.
                        This was all told by the guy that was selling them so I do not know the truth in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          That Spaceballs sig almost got me busted looking at the board at work, Danny.
                          Haha

Man I made that close to ten years ago, back when I had a sense of humor. I was looking at my photobucket and saw a bunch of old signatures I had made and picked that one up.

So many to choose from...

Last edited by 46Tbird; 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I do it on most of my old cars too. My old truck was a plus b/c they actually let me use antique farm plates and registered it as such, so it was only like $36 b/c I got the antique plus saved on it being a "farm" vehicle....and I always thought those black 68' plates looked so damned cool.

70' Chevelle RagTop
                            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                              I do it on most of my old cars too. My old truck was a plus b/c they actually let me use antique farm plates and registered it as such, so it was only like $36 b/c I got the antique plus saved on it being a "farm" vehicle....and I always thought those black 68' plates looked so damned cool.

Love that truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X