No announcement yet.

Any criminal defense attorneys on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any criminal defense attorneys on here?

Thinking about going to law school and want to talk with someone about what to expect? Seems like now is as good of time as any to make a change in my life. This economy has me reeling right now and I can use that as motivation for the wife to let me spend my time bettering myself as opposed to being stuck behind a desk.

Originally posted by Blue 98 Ram Air View Post
    Thinking about going to law school and want to talk with someone about what to expect? Seems like now is as good of time as any to make a change in my life. This economy has me reeling right now and I can use that as motivation for the wife to let me spend my time bettering myself as opposed to being stuck behind a desk.
    Everyone on here is a criminal defense attorney!

Comment

FTCDA!!!! Just sayin
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

FTP twice no lube!!! just sayin

Comment

best one yet-

St. Augustine - University of the West Indies - Hugh Wooding Law School
          Gordon Street, St. Augustine,

Comment

Good luck...trying to get criminals to pay is always fun. Some can afford the retainer but most setup a payment plan and cant pay. A friend of mine works for a criminal attorney and he is owed hundreds of thousands of dollars he cant collect

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              Good luck...trying to get criminals to pay is always fun. Some can afford the retainer but most setup a payment plan and cant pay. A friend of mine works for a criminal attorney and he is owed hundreds of thousands of dollars he cant collect
              That is soooo totally wrong..

They can pay all day long as long as you are willing to accept stolen guns, jewelry, etc....

I know an atty that was brought an original Model 1919 Thompson for payment. Luckily that atty called someone who knew guns and that it was probably 99.9999% stolen so they refused the gun. I would have called the police, but some defense attorneys have no ethics.
              Last edited by 03trubluGT; 01-07-2011, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                I know an atty that was brought an original Model 1919 Thompson for payment. Luckily that atty called someone who knew guns and that it was probably 99.9999% stolen so they refused the gun..
                That must have been a super rare prototype. LOL

As for being a lawyer, or defense attorney to be specific, it's a flooded field. I know more people with a juris doctorate out of a job, have two jobs, or just flat out not using it. There's nothing special or hard about obtaining a law degree, the hard part is making that spent money and new paper work for you. If you can get into a firm, you'll be doing shitbag work, working terrible hours, doing boring ass shit and with crummy pay for what it's worth. Privately, you're competing with plenty of other attorneys plenty capable of doing the same thing sometimes willing to work for free to get client base or established within the attorney pool, doing public defender stuff, or dealing with like said above getting paid. Most can and will pay, others will try and give you shit, some just flat out stiff you.

My dad has been a defense attorney for 40 years. It's just finally gotten to where it's somewhat paying off in the last 10 years or so. He's made most his money investing in other things than his job. He's advised me against being an attorney and so have most of his friends.

If you think you can do it and really want to, go for it. It's your life. It can be a very depressing job. The client base obviously isnt the best. Some will threaten your life and family. Some are just trying to get passed the issue and move on. One thing that's always a guarantee; everyday someone will need an attorney.
                Last edited by David; 01-07-2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks David. Sounds like pretty solid advice. I still want to do it and I kinda knew starting it would be a lot of grunt work for crappy pay after 3 more years of school. I would never accept any firearm from anyone I do not know. Nor would I accept property. I have always thought about this as a career path and I cant shake it from my head. I have an appointment next week to sit down with a law professor and practicing atty to ask more so hopefully I can make up my mind. Thanks again guys for your responses.

Comment

Like I said if it's something you really want to do, do it. Everyone should have a job they want to do. My dad loves the legal/judicial system so it works for him.

You should be well prepared for the politics involved. It's a fucking mess and ultimately your client cod be the one to pay the end price.

It's not all bad like my above post probably makes it out. It's an interesting field and a lot can be has from it.

Comment

Working...
                    X