Outlive my younger days or let it be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Venom View Post
    Semi-pro is far from a joke. I have guys on my team that have been in NFL camps and played on championship division 1 teams. Granted there is no pay but don't think that there isn't any talent out there. Of course there are those "Uncle Rico" guys out there that think they missed their shot because the coach hated them etc...
    Most guys just do it to get away from their wives and hang out with the guys instead of playing softball or basketball. I was a player in the TUFL until I tore my acl,mcl and meniscus. I decided that I had too much to lose so now I just coach.
    That's the kind of injury I worry about. Something like that would put me out of work for a while.

Comment

The older we get, the better we were. It's a young mans' game...especially football. There's guys out there that are pissed just because they're out there. One shitty crack-back block or cheap hit, and you're out of work (and money) for months.

Comment

Originally posted by BLK306 View Post
        , 1) I'm self employed and do not have any short term disability insurance to use if I get hurt. and if I don't work there is no money coming in.
        Ummm... I think you just answered your own question. Is re-living the glory days worth risking your family's financial well-being?
        - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
        1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Damn, 32? Shit your to old to be playing.

Comment

Originally posted by cde21 View Post
            What league are you in?
            I am the OC for the Hunt County Longhorns in the TUFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              The older we get, the better we were. It's a young mans' game...especially football. There's guys out there that are pissed just because they're out there. One shitty crack-back block or cheap hit, and you're out of work (and money) for months.
              I'm 23, and I felt the pain every Monday at work after a game. HAHA and no shit! Keep your head on the MF swivel!!! Especially if you are on special teams. I got de-cleated and ear-holed a few times for being a dumbass and not paying attention!

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                Damn, 32? Shit your to old to be playing.
                I have seen guys that are pushing 40 that still contribute to a team. It all depends on the person.

Comment

Cool, I had a buddy that played for the Xtreme last year.

Comment

Originally posted by cde21 View Post
                    I'm 23, and I felt the pain every Monday at work after a game. HAHA and no shit! Keep your head on the MF swivel!!! Especially if you are on special teams. I got de-cleated and ear-holed a few times for being a dumbass and not paying attention!
                    Who do you play for?

Comment

I played in 2005 until I blew out my left knee. Had surgery and sat out in 2006. Went back in 2007 and fucked up my right knee. That's when I decided I needed to hang it up, because walking is more important than playing ball for fun. And believe me, that was a hard decision. I enjoyed the hell out of it while it lasted, though. I played in the NPSFL.

I would tell most people to go for it. It feels great to suit up and especially to smash people again. However, it sounds like you have too much to lose. The risk is definitely high.

FWIW, our fullback was 42 years old, and he was a hoss. A lot of the other guys were much younger and in much better shape than me, and there was plenty of talent. I'm a big dude and enjoy collisions, otherwise I wouldn't have been of much use out there.

Comment

Who do you play for?
                        I just played 8 man in the AEFL.

Comment

Not worth it, take up golf. I've known several people that tried to "relive their youth" with motocross, then they had surgery to repair the damage of being old and acting young lol.

Comment

hey we played yall back in the day, i used to play for coach D and the North Texas Seminoles

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                            You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                              hey we played yall back in the day, i used to play for coach D and the North Texas Seminoles
                              What is back in the day? I played against them as a player in 06-08 and they are totally different team. They won the State Championship in 08 with a solid team. We won it again last year and our team was great but it wasn't even close to what we are going to put on the field this year. Last year we ended the season as the #2 ranked team in the nation for the spring.

Comment

i think it was 3 years ago.. you must be thinking of a different team cause we never won anything lol

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                                You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Working...
                                X