No announcement yet.

Outlive my younger days or let it be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlive my younger days or let it be??

So I wanted to poll a larger audience about this. I have the opportunity to try out for a semi pro football team this week if I so choose to. I have not played football competitively for about 12 years now (I'm 32). Football was one of those things that I loved to do and was forced to quit. By that I mean when I graduated H.S. there were no more opportunities for me to play. I still wanted to but had no where to go. I tried a walk-on at Tarleton State but that lasted a semester.

Fast forward to today and where I have this opportunity again. However, the problems that face me now are, 1) I'm self employed and do not have any short term disability insurance to use if I get hurt. and if I don't work there is no money coming in. 2) There is time a commitment involved that would put me away from family and home at least 3 days a week. 3) The cost of travel has the potential to be pretty expensive since the team travels all over the state. 4) This one is probably the biggest one. The wife is not completely on board. She says she is at about a 40/60 split with wanting me to play or not. She wants me to outlive my youth and get it out of my system. But on the other hand it would put a burden on her to have to watch the kids by herself all but about 2-3 days a week.

So what do yall think? What would yall do? Outlive your youth, get it out of your system, and give yourself the opportunity to stop playing the game on your terms. Or come to the reality that there is already a lot on your plate with arguably a lot more risk vs benefit, and just live out your days with the "what if" in the back of your head.

Please discuss.

semi pro sucks, unless they pay it aint worth a shit... what league is it?? i played for about 2 or 3 seasons not too long ago and was not worth it

also some leagues offer insurance incase you do get hurt but still not worth it

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Burt Reynolds says, "Semi-pro's a joke."
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

take care of your family.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

MOve along. That just sounds dumb.

Comment

let it be...

Comment

At your age, nothing will come of it. Not to sound like an ass, but let it go, it's too late for you.

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                  semi pro sucks, unless they pay it aint worth a shit... what league is it?? i played for about 2 or 3 seasons not too long ago and was not worth it

also some leagues offer insurance incase you do get hurt but still not worth it
                  Texas United Football League

Comment

I played "semi-pro" football lat year, but we didn't get paid... We do it for fun! We play with some damn good teams too. A lot of the guys in our league either play in the Canadian league or play arena ball. If you don't have insurance, I would go with a NO... Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by cde21 View Post
                      I played "semi-pro" football lat year, but we didn't get paid... We do it for fun! We play with some damn good teams too. A lot of the guys in our league either play in the Canadian league or play arena ball. If you don't have insurance, I would go with a NO... Just my .02

That's why I would play. I'm not looking to get paid I just want to go have fun. Now I do have insurance to cover medical expenses. Just nothing in place unless I sign up for Aflac to cover the lost income if I were injured to the point where I could not go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by BLK306 View Post
                        That's why I would play. I'm not looking to get paid I just want to go have fun. Now I do have insurance to cover medical expenses. Just nothing in place unless I sign up for Aflac to cover the lost income if I were injured to the point where I could not go to work.

I see, well screw it man. If you think you are in the right shape, go for it!

Comment

Since other people have already mentioned that your family needs you..

I will say the way I make hard decisions like that is to think about does it meet your mid and long term goals? Your personal and your goals for your family as their leader.

Maybe you can get some game time in through a different avenue that doesn't consume so much time and energy.
                          WRX

Comment

Semi-pro is far from a joke. I have guys on my team that have been in NFL camps and played on championship division 1 teams. Granted there is no pay but don't think that there isn't any talent out there. Of course there are those "Uncle Rico" guys out there that think they missed their shot because the coach hated them etc...
                            Most guys just do it to get away from their wives and hang out with the guys instead of playing softball or basketball. I was a player in the TUFL until I tore my acl,mcl and meniscus. I decided that I had too much to lose so now I just coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                              Semi-pro is far from a joke. I have guys on my team that have been in NFL camps and played on championship division 1 teams. Granted there is no pay but don't think that there isn't any talent out there. Of course there are those "Uncle Rico" guys out there that think they missed their shot because the coach hated them etc...
                              Most guys just do it to get away from their wives and hang out with the guys instead of playing softball or basketball. I was a player in the TUFL until I tore my acl,mcl and meniscus. I decided that I had too much to lose so now I just coach.
                              What league are you in?

Comment

Working...
                              X