No announcement yet.

Any career welders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucks that TCC only offers the welding technology course at the south campus. That's to far for me.

Comment

Buddy of mine went to east field college to learn to weld. He got a gig and finally moved him and his wife and kids out of his parents house
      .....bro....

Comment

I heard working on elevators pays well to. Plenty of welding involved as well.
        ./ ____ _ _\.
        (]]]_ o _[[[)
        \o_FORD_o/
        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

in the building trades elevator men are the highest paid.. about $34/hr in dallas.. not a whole lot of welding involved though.. most of that goes to steel erectors. also you wont find many elevator men with 10 fingers..

if building trades is what you wanna do PM me i can answer anything you wanna know. for example some of the projects we have done recently; The Winspear Opera House, Omni Hotel (dallas and ft. worth), Parkland Hospital, and Baylor Cancer Center just to name a few. Those are just ground up jobs.
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
            in the building trades elevator men are the highest paid.. about $34/hr in dallas.. not a whole lot of welding involved though.. most of that goes to steel erectors. also you wont find many elevator men with 10 fingers..

if building trades is what you wanna do PM me i can answer anything you wanna know. for example some of the projects we have done recently; The Winspear Opera House, Omni Hotel (dallas and ft. worth), Parkland Hospital, and Baylor Cancer Center just to name a few. Those are just ground up jobs.

Ive got my 10 fingers... Intact.

PM me for questions about vertical transportation engineering if interested. Pay is more than $34/hr in Dfw by the way.
            ./ ____ _ _\.
            (]]]_ o _[[[)
            \o_FORD_o/
            |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
              I heard working on elevators pays well to. Plenty of welding involved as well.
              meh, it has its ups and downs....
              .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
                Ive got my 10 fingers... Intact.

PM me for questions about vertical transportation engineering if interested. Pay is more than $34/hr in Dfw by the way.
                you coulda just said you are an elevator man, rather than "i hear.."

just sayin
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

You need to figure out what kind of welding you want to do. Take courses at Dallas community college. They have an outstanding shop and the head instructor is a great guy. Take a course or two and then decide if and what type of welding you like.

I have a shop and run a welding rig. Majority of my work is mobile and at construction sites. I do fabrication at the shop. I've been doing this for about 7yrs now and don't plan on doing it my whole life, it's pretty rough on the body.

It's tough, nasty, dangerous work. I go home exhausted and filthy and get burned pretty often even with proper ppe. But, I'm not sitting in a cubicle wanting to shoot myself and everyday is something different. The pay can be pretty good if you stay busy, sometimes there are lulls in activity and that can suck.

Rig chasers and pipeliners can easily make $5k a week and it's not uncommon for the good ones who stay busy to clear $250k a year. While that may sound amazing, you have to take into account overhead: welding machine, truck, rods, grinders, consumables, hand tools, clothing, insurance, fuel, etc. The pipeliners work 6-7 days a week and usually it's in the middle of nowhere for months at a time. Rig chasers are on call pretty much 24/7 and work many hours as well. It's not too great for the married people or a social life. You get rainy days off though so that's nice

If I were to choose I would do just pipeline or some type of aeronautical tig welding. Tig is my favorite as it's nice, quiet, clean, spark free welding. It pays decent and you're usually in a clean environment.

Working as a mig monkey in a shop usually doesn't pay too great from what I've seen. It's the easiest welding process to learn though.

There are tons of welding jobs out there in many different industries, you just have to figure out what you truly enjoy and whether or not it will be financially sufficient.

If you want to give it a try and burn a few rods shoot me a pm and you can swing by the shop sometime. I have tons of scrap metal and more than enough welding rods and filler metal.

Comment

Ive heard weatherford has a decent welding class.

Ive been through classes at TXDOT, thats not saying much however Next class I just have to pass the overhead and ill be cert to weld on bridges.

Prob means nothing in the real world lol.

I say learn arc, then mig/tig.

I See your in Midlothian, I have a 110 mig if you want to bring some scrap over and give it a whirl.. Im more of a sheet metal guy, Want to step up to a bigger machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X