Living the dream..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living the dream..

So I know a bunch of people here have been hit by the economy. Fired, laid off, company closed, etc. My question is how many of you have taken this opportunity to change their direction in life to follow your dreams?

I was laid off 2 years ago this month after 10 years with that employer. When I started out in that role I was simply working to live and support my family but more or less stumbled into my career path. Since then little thought has gone towards what I want to do vs. what I Must do to survive. So now I find myself somewhat stuck doing what I'm doing because I need a job to survive.

Lately I have been thinking more and more about getting in to something I really enjoy, the trouble is 1. Figuring out what I really would like to do and 2. stepping back once again to start down that road.

So I need some motivation. Do any of you guys have a success story to share?

Im in the same boat as you except I am without a job presently. Good luck on figuring out what to do. I'm still trying to decide what direction to go.

Comment

I am totally in the same boat. They gave me a new job title, AVP, and I couldn't careless. I want to do something else and feel better about doing something I love to do. But what the hell do I love to do? LOL

It sucks. I do not want to leave my family wanting, and I almost feel like I have to stay here to not rock the family boat right now.

Comment

Man i know its kind of weird, but i LOVE hitting thrift stores and resale shops. Since i quit my job in november i have been making money buying and selling high end mens dress clothes. Ive always had an appreciation for it, so for the time being, i'm really enjoying myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
          Man i know its kind of weird, but i LOVE hitting thrift stores and resale shops. Since i quit my job in november i have been making money buying and selling high end mens dress clothes. Ive always had an appreciation for it, so for the time being, i'm really enjoying myself.
          Lol, I just dragged Lea to one the other day.

Are you Ebay'ing it?

Comment

been living the dream since Oct 09... it's been more dream than money thus far, but I'm way happier now
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              Lol, I just dragged Lea to one the other day.

Are you Ebay'ing it?
              Yep. have like 80 things up now with about another 80 to take pics of and add today.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                This is a perfect example of what I was about to post.

Figure out what your passion is, and I bet there is a way to make a living doing it. I was fortunate enough to figure it our fairly early, so I am not what you would consider a successful switch. One thing to consider, is starting over will most likely mean a pay cut. That is what keeps most people from trying to follow any kind of dream.

I say do it, I am happier than ever since I enjoy what I do. I'm not a DFWMustangs baller, but we live comfortably, and I don't dread Monday mornings.

Comment

Yep, I started my turnaround right before the economy went to shit. I had been working for 7 years out of undergrad, received a couple promotions, was doing well financially, but just didn't like my career niche. So I started the CFA program, got into a couple top grad schools, and busted my ass for roughly 90 hours a week for 2 years. I graduated with honors in May, passed CFA level 2 in June, and landed my dream job paying 3x my pre-MBA salary in August. Most importantly, I love what I do and look forward to it daily.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

You should absolutely pursue your dreams – you only get one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do. And there’s no better time than the start of a new year! As far as figuring out what you want to do, I found it to be helpful to start with a broad area that I enjoyed and to narrow it down from there. Do you want to own a business? Be creative? Work with people? Then once you figure that out, narrow it down to a more specific area. Just take things one step at a time, and never ever ever give up!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotortrash View Post
                      This is a perfect example of what I was about to post.

Figure out what your passion is, and I bet there is a way to make a living doing it. I was fortunate enough to figure it our fairly early, so I am not what you would consider a successful switch. One thing to consider, is starting over will most likely mean a pay cut. That is what keeps most people from trying to follow any kind of dream.

I say do it, I am happier than ever since I enjoy what I do. I'm not a DFWMustangs baller, but we live comfortably, and I don't dread Monday mornings.
                      This is what i want to do! Live comfortably, and LOVE mondays instead of Forcing myself out of bed 15-30 mins late just to come into work and make little to no money. The wife and I have been talking about opening up a resturant/bar down where she is from and making the move. She could continue to teach for a few years if needed to help us survive but, what we want to do doesn't exist where we want to build and all the resturants that are there are packed almost EVERY NIGHT. It shouldn't take too long to actually make it a self sustainable place and then profitable in a year or two. Given the uncertianty of what is going on with our buy out here at work, this may give me the opportunity to go back to school and finish my degree as well. I'm trying like hell to make this a positive. What I would IDEALLY would do is open up a fishing guide service down on the coast with a bed/breakfast/bar set up.

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it's *because* they sat there that they were able to do it.

hyuck hyuck.

Comment

hey somebodys gotta be the trashman. we cant all live our dreams.

god bless.
                          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
                            Thanks for the sacrifice, buddy!
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
                              Even the trashman has dreams. Meter readers truelly are an amazing job from afar.

Comment

Working...
                              X