DIY Civilian drone warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Civilian drone warfare

‘Citizen Drone Warfare’: Introducing the Do-It-Yourself, Paintball-Equipped Drone

Posted on December 14, 2012 at 12:25pm by Liz Klimas Liz Klimas
    Print »
    Email »

Comments (23)

The folk’s maintaining the YouTube channel Danger Info have something to say about the future of drone technology. It’s not about pervasive government surveillance, which many worry about, but civilian use of the equipment and “citizen drone warfare.”

Although many government agencies and local law enforcement might be stocking up on drone technology, Danger Info states “this video is not about those drones.” What it is about are civilian drones used for personal defense, crop dusting, collecting evidence of pollution and more.

The character Milo Danger with an American flag bandanna over his face, sunglasses covering his eyes and a device distorting his true voice wonders if drones could be used in an “ethically gray area or even directly in unlawful activities?”
    Danger Info YouTube Channel Takes on Issue of Civilian Warfare

(Image: YouTube screenshot)

To find out, Danger Info built its own drone using only the Internet and terms “drone” and “diy.” They included on-board video and a handgun mount to showcase “how safe — or dangerous — an armed drone would be in the hands of a civilian.”

Given that it’s “almost certainly a felony” to equip a drone or other remote-controlled device with an armed weapon, Danger Info used a paintball gun.
    Danger Info YouTube Channel Takes on Issue of Civilian Warfare

(Image: YouTube screenshot)

First question: Can a mail-order drone kit handle a gun shooting off several rounds? Answer: Yes.

Second question: Is it accurate? Answer: Based on all the orange paintball hits, we’d say so.

“If this is what a novice with a small budget can accomplish, then clearly this technology has a lot of potential. Considering the growing popularity of these DIY devices, it seems inevitable that they’re going to be used in ways that the inventors and manufacturers would have never imagined,” Milo Danger said.

Check out Danger Info’s Facebook page here.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Interesting

Comment

Pull!!
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I have always been surprised how model rockets have not been used more by people will ill intent. They aren't regulated. It is against the law to make them explosive, but that doesn't mean someone won't try.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          I have always been surprised how model rockets have not been used more by people will ill intent. They aren't regulated. It is against the law to make them explosive, but that doesn't mean someone won't try.
          They are regulated. The engines can't have more then 4oz of propellant and the bodies can't be made from metal.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            They are regulated. The engines can't have more then 4oz of propellant and the bodies can't be made from metal.
            They are regulated but I don't think those were a threat to begin with. They really can't go much higher than 1000 ft and that is with staging.

The real surprise to me is that no one has tried to down a plane with a rocket using NOS and Rubber for the engine. You can make rockets that fly over 100,000 feet and even reach supersonic speeds. You don't need a warhead, just a good guidance system and a direct hit. A warhead would give you the chance to take out a plane with a near miss.

IMO, the real technical challenge is that guidance system. And IR tracking would be your best bet but I think commerical airliners have some protection from IR tracking.

Comment

Just because that is the law doesn't mean someone could not make larger engines and metal bodies if they wanted. I think the point was that it would be relatively easy for someone to turn one into a type of smaller RPG or small missile to use against innocent civilians.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

a possible use
                http://now.msn.com/anonymous-hacks-westboro-baptist-church Can two wrongs make a right? Westboro Baptist Church, the vicious anti-gay group that pickets the funerals of soldiers and AIDS victims, recently declared it will protest the burials of children slain in Newtown, CT. In response, the hacker group Anonymous posted

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  They are regulated but I don't think those were a threat to begin with. They really can't go much higher than 1000 ft and that is with staging.

I have been building rockets since I was 10 and have built many that will go 12k ft or higher; the only trick to that is being able to recover them. I even won a state competition with a high performance rocket of my own design in the 8th grade.

Until recently I was also working on my own designs for rocket engines. That came to an end about 3 years ago when a prototype engine that was fastened to an 800 lbs + steel welding table dragged the table across a parking lot at high speeds, through a steel fence, and into an adjacent building causing a small fire and a considerable amount of impact damage. I nearly went to jail over that and had to talk with some feds after the fire marshal got done with me. I am sticking to small turbine engines for now.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  Just because that is the law doesn't mean someone could not make larger engines and metal bodies if they wanted. I think the point was that it would be relatively easy for someone to turn one into a type of smaller RPG or small missile to use against innocent civilians.

Single use commercially available solid propellant engines are only made with 4oz or less of black powder. Anything over 4oz is considered a destructive device and is regulated under the NFA. There are reusable bodies that you fill yourself that hold considerably more propellant. The problem with making an engine smiler to an RPGs is that the chemicals needed for an engine with that high of a thrust to weight ratio are EXTREMLY toxic and therefor difficult to attain and to handle.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I have been building rockets since I was 10 and have built many that will go 12k ft or higher; the only trick to that is being able to recover them. I even won a state competition with a high performance rocket of my own design in the 8th grade.

Until recently I was also working on my own designs for rocket engines. That came to an end about 3 years ago when a prototype engine that was fastened to an 800 lbs + steel welding table dragged the table across a parking lot at high speeds, through a steel fence, and into an adjacent building causing a small fire and a considerable amount of impact damage. I nearly went to jail over that and had to talk with some feds after the fire marshal got done with me. I am sticking to small turbine engines for now.

Single use commercially available solid propellant engines are only made with 4oz or less of black powder. Anything over 4oz is considered a destructive device and is regulated under the NFA. There are reusable bodies that you fill yourself that hold considerably more propellant. The problem with making an engine smiler to an RPGs is that the chemicals needed for an engine with that high of a thrust to weight ratio are EXTREMLY toxic and therefor difficult to attain and to handle.
                    What do you think about my suggestion of making a NOS/Rubber motor? Pretty much what they are using for Spaceship one and two.

Comment

Some of you guys are just looking to have The Man in your life. Carry on.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                        What do you think about my suggestion of making a NOS/Rubber motor? Pretty much what they are using for Spaceship one and two.
                        Most engines of the type that you are describing use pure oxygen and polypropylene instead of rubber. N2O is not a choice oxidizer because it doesn't have free O until 645F.

Comment

This thread needs more rocket candy

Comment

Most engines of the type that you are describing use pure oxygen and polypropylene instead of rubber. N2O is not a choice oxidizer because it doesn't have free O until 645F.
                            Interesting, most of the things I've read on the subject have N2O and HTPB (rubber) and the primary components for a hybrid motor.

Comment

Working...
                            X