City of Ft. Worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Ft. Worth?

Does anyone work for them? I have an interview tomorrow and I have been informed by a few people that their budget is in serious deficit, they have been laying people off, they are generally hurting.

It is for a position in the IT Dept. Basically my job security is 100% rock sold right now, I could probably murder someone and they couldn't get rid of me because I am so deeply rooted in my current city. I don't want to leave unless I know I have a stable job to look forward to.

Potentially this job is not a General Funds job but one supplied via a grant from the State of Texas...which I am not too wild about.

Any input is very much appreciated.

Getting a new better paying job means:

1) Get out of ghetto Grand Prairie
    2) Knock my wife up (finally)
    3) Take a train every morning and put the cars on a mileage diet.
    Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM.

I know the city here just had about 200 workers quit/retire re the overhaul of the medical insurance program. somehow, after all those people have left, they can't find the funds to secure my position full time.
    Last edited by lowthreeohz; 01-04-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I can tell you in my past business dealings with the City of Fort Worth - They are crooked, and they don't pay their bills. I refuse to step foot in a room with them.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        I can tell you in my past business dealings with the City of Fort Worth - They are crooked, and they don't pay their bills. I refuse to step foot in a room with them.
        Isn't that like all Cities? I went 60 days on an invoice for some phones before I finally got around to paying for it...

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          Isn't that like all Cities? I went 60 days on an invoice for some phones before I finally got around to paying for it...
          Nope. Fort Worth and Dallas.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            That's sad because even up until a few years ago working a city job was one of the best jobs you could land. And that was almost in any position.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
              That's sad because even up until a few years ago working a city job was one of the best jobs you could land. And that was almost in any position.
              It still is, but unfortunately a, now 4 year, pay freeze makes it really hard when you are trying to live on 2006-2007 prices in 2011. I asked for a raise or title change and was denied with "We don't even know if we can give anything until Oct. 2011"

I love my job, but my bank account is shrinking even with cutting all the "fat off"

I know, I know...woe is me...but if I have a decent chance to get an $11,000 /year raise, I will take it.

Comment

Send me a pic and I may knock your wife up... There's one thing you wouldn't have to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                  Send me a pic and I may knock your wife up... There's one thing you wouldn't have to worry about
                  Ha, you gonna pay for the kid/hospitals bills/losing her salary...etc?

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                    Ha, you gonna pay for the kid/hospitals bills/losing her salary...etc?
                    Pixxx first.... LOL

Comment

I have been an employee for ft. worth for 11 years now. The budget has been an issue for the last 3 years.
                      2 years ago - 45 Million in the hole = 200+ jobs were cut. No raises and every posistion was frozen, where if someone quit, retired or died they were not replaced.
                      Last year - 77 Million in the hole = 200+ jobs were cut along with city services. No raises and we had 8 furlough days.
                      This year - No raises, less layoffs, reduced services, but no furlough days.

Last I heard, next year we are already projected to be in the hole again so there is no clear idea what to fully expect. Seniority means nothing in the city. When my department got the news last year to cut positions they went after several people who had been there longer then I have, and a few that they didn't want to deal with in general. I am hopeful that next year will not be as bad as the last few years and hope that we can put these last few years behind us and move on.

The benefits are great once you get in, just hang on for the ride and good luck.
                      2019 ram 4x4.....no toys currently

Comment

The fact that your job would be funded by a state grant would be the biggest worry. I would get some clarification on what happens when that money is gone first.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                        George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Treadhead View Post
                          The fact that your job would be funded by a state grant would be the biggest worry. I would get some clarification on what happens when that money is gone first.
                          This.
                          They do grants to hire teachers and administrators all the time & the next year or even the next semester, they are out when the money is gone!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R1psycho View Post
                            I have been an employee for ft. worth for 11 years now. The budget has been an issue for the last 3 years.
                            2 years ago - 45 Million in the hole = 200+ jobs were cut. No raises and every posistion was frozen, where if someone quit, retired or died they were not replaced.
                            Last year - 77 Million in the hole = 200+ jobs were cut along with city services. No raises and we had 8 furlough days.
                            This year - No raises, less layoffs, reduced services, but no furlough days.

Last I heard, next year we are already projected to be in the hole again so there is no clear idea what to fully expect. Seniority means nothing in the city. When my department got the news last year to cut positions they went after several people who had been there longer then I have, and a few that they didn't want to deal with in general. I am hopeful that next year will not be as bad as the last few years and hope that we can put these last few years behind us and move on.

The benefits are great once you get in, just hang on for the ride and good luck.
                            My neighbor Clint worked there for 14 years and they started jacking him around. He was an Emergency Vehicle tech. He finally left amidst all the BS and now the MMIC at the City of Azle.

Comment

i have met 3 peeps who worked in IT. All of them said it sucked but maybe things have changed since it was a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X