registering a small trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• registering a small trailer?

I need to get a small home made trailer registered. It is not titled and its gvw is only around 2000lb. What form do I need to get this handled? I just called the tax office and the lady told me I needed form 130u but that does not look right at all. I figured someone here has done this recently and can help me out with info.

I have always registered mine as a homemade trailer. They ask me the empty/loaded weight, punch in the info, take my money and give me a plate.

In fact, I have to do it this week, some stump-fucker stole the plate off my boat trailer while I was out fishing at Lake o' the Pines last week.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

^^^^^^^ what he said, as long as the gvw is less than 4000 lbs you can register homebuilt and not have to mess with having it inspected.

Comment

Is there not a tag hidden anywhere on it?

I traded a guy last summer my streetbike for his jet skis. I got the titles for the skis, but never received anything for the trailer.

so you're saying to remove tags, play dumb, and re register it as a home built? what about my old trailer that's tags have been out since 05? do i just pay a fee for the years since it's been out? It's legitimately been sitting for that long, largely unused.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
          Is there not a tag hidden anywhere on it?

I traded a guy last summer my streetbike for his jet skis. I got the titles for the skis, but never received anything for the trailer.

so you're saying to remove tags, play dumb, and re register it as a home built? what about my old trailer that's tags have been out since 05? do i just pay a fee for the years since it's been out? It's legitimately been sitting for that long, largely unused.
          Titles are not issued for trailers under 3500 pounds. What you do is your business. When I buy a trailer that the seller tells me is a homemade trailer, I go to the tax office and tell them it is a homemade trailer when I'm ready to register it. The ask me the empty weight, I tell them that and what the trailer (axle) is rated to hold, they give me a price, I pay it. The OP said it was a homemade trailer, I figured you would have the reading comprehension to have caught that...

Stevo
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
            The OP said it was a homemade trailer, I figured you would have the reading comprehension to have caught that...

Stevo
            I didn't question the legitimacy of the OP's trailer. I figured you would have the reading comprehension to have caught that...

Comment

lol, jesus guys settle down... To be honest I am pretty sure the trailer is not "home made" but it had no plate or vin on it when I bought it. Its just a 4x8 tilt bed trailer that I plan on hauling my atv around on. In this case I do not know any other way of registering it that will not be a total headache besides to just go in and say that it is home made. I am sending the old lady to the tax office today with some general info about the trailer like stevo said its empty weight and the rated load of the axle and I am thinking it is going to run me in the $40 range.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                lol, jesus guys settle down... To be honest I am pretty sure the trailer is not "home made" but it had no plate or vin on it when I bought it. Its just a 4x8 tilt bed trailer that I plan on hauling my atv around on. In this case I do not know any other way of registering it that will not be a total headache besides to just go in and say that it is home made. I am sending the old lady to the tax office today with some general info about the trailer like stevo said its empty weight and the rated load of the axle and I am thinking it is going to run me in the $40 range.
                That is the usual cost. Next year when it runs out, you will have to pay the same $40-ish to get it registered again. Also, if the trailer sits for a year or five, you do not have to pay back taxes on it.

I went to the tax office this morning with my copy of the registration receipt from my trailer, told the lady that one of the lake's natives stole the plate off my boat trailer at the boat ramp, 5 minutes and $7 later I had another plate.

Stevo

Comment

All went well, it was $42 for a trailer we said weighed 300# empty and had a gross of 1500#.

Comment

Working...
                  X