Apartment Hunting, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment Hunting, need some advice

Due to some unforseen and unexpected occurences (me and wife are splitting up), I find myself looking for an apartment in the Hulen area (by work) or Haltom City/NRH area (kids). Any recommendations? Haven't had to do this in 10+ years, so not really sure where to even start.

What is the average price range for a decent 2 bedroom apartment?

Any good sites to look at? What should I look for when I go check these places out?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

First off sorry to hear you're gonna go through this. Hard stuff.

My advise is to look up Property Management places and maybe look for a house to rent rather than an apartment. Normally not much difference in prices if you can find a good deal. Might even hit Craigslist for owner listed stuff.

Here is an example... which the price might not be watcha looking for.

Last edited by 94form2000z; 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
      First off sorry to hear you're gonna go through this. Hard stuff.

My advise is to look up Property Management places and maybe look for a house to rent rather than an apartment. Normally not much difference in prices if you can find a good deal. Might even hit Craigslist for owner listed stuff.

Here is an example... which the price might not be watcha looking for.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/apa/2139559829.html

yeah, that's the same thing I was wanting to do, but with at least 1 other friend to help out on the rent/bills. One thing I did notice though, was that the deposits and such on renting a house are a bit higher than when going into an apartment. The biggest pluses about a house are having a garage, backyard, and nobody living on the other side of the wall/floor/ceiling.
      HD Parts
      paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
        The biggest pluses about a house are having a garage, backyard, and nobody living on the other side of the wall/floor/ceiling.
        Just not having to listen to people stomp and shut their doors is enough for me to justify the difference in deposit. Just make damn sure to do a good walk through on the house and take pics or even a video to prove the state on move in.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
          Just not having to listen to people stomp and shut their doors is enough for me to justify the difference in deposit. Just make damn sure to do a good walk through on the house and take pics or even a video to prove the state on move in.
          This saved our asses last time we rented a house!
          sigpic

Comment

TTT, thanks for the advice on looking at rental homes vs. apartments. Have been checking out listings on Craigslist, still undecided which route to go.

Comment

sorry to hear that bro, i hope it works out for you.

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I would recommend finding an apartment location service. They can be hugely helpful in finding exactly what you are looking for. We did it and it made finding the place we are moving into easy.
                QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                  I would recommend finding an apartment location service. They can be hugely helpful in finding exactly what you are looking for. We did it and it made finding the place we are moving into easy.
                  Any recommendations on a good one?

Comment

If you go the rental house route, find a Realtor and let them take care of finding a rent house for you. 3 or 4 years ago I used someone over on the canada board when I was looking for a house in Arlington to rent, but I dont remember what her name was. She did all the work and didn't cost me a dime.

For the apartment I rented before that I used ABC Apartment Locators on North Collins in Arlington, they might do Fort Worth too I really don't know.
                    Last edited by GrayStangGT; 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X