House + marriage + divorce question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House + marriage + divorce question

OK, I bought a house when I was 23. I’m now 36 and only owe about $40k on it. It is worth about $100k. If I were to get married and it didn’t work out, would the ex be able to take half the value of my house. It’s not like I have a net worth large enough to look into a prenup , but I’m wondering what the outcome would be if the girl I married did get divorced.

Disclaimer, never been married, not really looking to get married, just wondering what the repercussions might be if I decided to get married and it didn’t work out…

dont get married?

Comment

Why get married, Its a piece of paper. You can still have a relationship with a woman for years if not a lifetime without getting married! Why take the risk when you dont have too?
      GOD BLESS TEXAS
      August Landscaping
      214-779-7278
      Seb's high class.
      He'll mow your grass.
      He'll kick your ass.
      And while his kidney stones pass,
      He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

they only split shit if you got it during the marriage

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
          Why get married, Its a piece of paper. You can still have a relationship with a woman for years if not a lifetime without getting married! Why take the risk when you dont have too?
          too bad the girls don't see it that way, and i completely agree with you!
          2014 Ford F250 4X4 *DD*
          1992 Ford Mustang GT

Previous Vehicles:
          1989 Ford Mustang 4 cyl. Turbo coupe
          1986 Ford Mustang GT T-Top
          2011 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
          2011 Ford Mustang V6
          2011 Ford Mustang GT
          2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
          2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4

Comment

She gets half of everything without a prenup

Comment

If she lives in the house for a specified time period (I think 1 year) then it is considered her homestead and it becomes very confusing (because Texas is community property). Depending on the divorce settlement she could get half the value, half the equity while she was there, or nothing at all if you can prove you paid for everything - that last option is an asswhip to prove though.

I'd talk to a good real estate attorney.

Comment

If you're concerned, then don't marry her.

Comment

You need to protect your existing equity with an agreement before you get married. As soon as you use one cent of common property money to make a payment on the house then she is going to have a claim against it.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                      Agreed, but I have had a couple of chicks leave me for that reason alone.

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                      they only split shit if you got it during the marriage
                      Yea, I have heard that too, but my friends experiences have told me different.

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                      If she lives in the house for a specified time period (I think 1 year) then it is considered her homestead and it becomes very confusing (because Texas is community property). Depending on the divorce settlement she could get half the value , half the equity while she was there, or nothing at all if you can prove you paid for everything - that last option is an asswhip to prove though.
                      she could get half the value...
                      Eff that, she has not been with me making the monthly payments for the past 13 years.
                      half the equity while she was there...
                      OK, so this I see as fair as long as she was paying half the mortgage while she lived with me.

or nothing at all if you can prove you paid for everything - that last option is an asswhip to prove though.
                      It almost seems like this is too much trouble than it's worth. Although talking to a good real estate attorney beforehand might clear up my confusion. That's prolly the best advice I will get on this.

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      If you're concerned, then don't marry her.
                      I hear ya here. This is one of the main reasons that I have never been married.
                      Last edited by fredfarmer; 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post
                        I hear ya here. This is one of the main reasons that I have never been married.
                        I'm gonna do it once. Maybe I'm ignorant for thinking this, but I will trust my wife with my life. Money is superfluous.

Comment

Get a prenup. No matter what you might think your net worth is get a prenup.
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            I'm gonna do it once. Maybe I'm ignorant for thinking this, but I will trust my wife with my life. Money is superfluous.
                            yes you are ignorant, everything is good until its bad. Always protect yourself and your assets.
                            2006 Civic SI
                            2009 Pilot
                            1988 GT
                            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

She would only get half the equity since you been married. But learn something from Gene Simmons. That fucker is a genius. That piece of paper does not mean shit. It's the fact that she stays with you with out that piece of paper that would show you how much she loves you.

Seriously, protect your investments. Most of the time marriage only benefits the women.

Comment

Working...
                              X