Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure what to do. Think you can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what to do. Think you can help?

So I'm at a loss right now...let me give you the story...

One of my students I have right now is the sweetest 8th grade girl who is recovering from leukemia. She's a great student, a hard worker and her and her mom are stuck in a bad situation.

They live in a one bedroom apt, mom got fired from her job when Hannah (my student) was in the Ronald McDonald house for a few months and mom couldn't work. Dad up and left when shit got hard and they have nothing. Seriously, they have a couch, tv and a bed in this little apt and mom sleeps on the couch so Hannah can have the bed.

Mom doesn't have a car and she doesn't have a job so she can't afford to get one. She uses friends together her and Hannah to and from dr appts so she never asks them to take them anywhere else.

These are good people who just got the short end of the stick. She needs a car to get a job and can't get a job because she has no car. Anyone have suggestions on what to do to help them? Anyone have a junker car they want to get rid of for a good cause and tax write off?

Sorry for the long post, just breaks my heart and makes me wish I could do more.

Thanks!

**UPDATE 12/18/12**

We have bought a car (thanks to a generous board member) and are presenting it to her tomorrow. They got their hair makeovers (donated) by a good friend last week and now we also have a backpack that was filled with supplies by Diablo Rojo and his wife, 2 Gift Certificates (1-American Eagle, 1-Hollister) sent by a board member, and enough leftover to help with the title and registration. It's all going down tomorrow and I can't.freaking.wait! Thank you to all who have contributed (either by offer or otherwise)-even those $5 and $10 donations have added up to all that we have been able to give to this family. You are all awesome and just know there will be some very happy girls driving around aimlessly tomorrow.

I know a few of you had mentioned wanting to be there for the presentation. Please PM me if you are still interested and I will send a general address. Thank you!!
    Last edited by Leah; 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM.
    Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
    Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
    Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
    You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Have they considered moving closer to a bus line maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      Have they considered moving closer to a bus line maybe?
      They don't have money to move anywhere. The moms mom is helping pay for the one they're in, but she can't afford much more than what she's doing.
      Token Split Tail

You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Originally posted by Leah View Post
        So I'm at a loss right now...let me give you the story...

One of my students I have right now is the sweetest 8th grade girl who is recovering from leukemia. She's a great student, a hard worker and her and her mom are stuck in a bad situation.

They live in a one bedroom apt, mom got fired from her job when Hannah (my student) was in the Ronald McDonald house for a few months and mom couldn't work. Dad up and left when shit got hard and they have nothing. Seriously, they have a couch, tv and a bed in this little apt and mom sleeps on the couch so Hannah can have the bed.

Mom doesn't have a car (dad took the only one they had) and she doesn't have a job so she can't afford to get one. She uses friends together her and Hannah to and from dr appts so she never asks them to take them anywhere else.

These are good people who just got the short end of the stick. She needs a car to get a job and can't get a job because she has no car. Anyone have suggestions on what to do to help them? Anyone have a junker car they want to get rid of for a good cause and tax right off?

Sorry for the long post, just breaks my heart and makes me wish I could do more.

Thanks!
        If she goes to a church regularly, they would help. Im sure there's help somewhere. I bet theres a kid's cancer charity that might help too. Just some ideas.

Comment

She could probably qualify for DART Handyride maybe. Also there is a group I heard about where guys in exotic cars will cheffeur cancer patients to appointments. Might could help in some cases.

Comment

If she still needs treatment I can sign for her to get into the Shriners Childrens Hospital.
            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
              If she still needs treatment I can sign for her to get into the Shriners Childrens Hospital.
              Thanks for the replies, guys. Mike, she's undergoing treatment through cook children's in Fort Worth and is on the recovering side, thankfully. She is scheduled to go back to school in January.

I forgot to mention they live in Arlington off 360 and mom has a great (according to her) resume in HR work in case anyone has knowledge of some openings. Maybe the dart thing is something she hasn't thought of. I know Arlington has a transit system of somekind.
              Token Split Tail

Comment

Scroll down this page. http://angiesangelhelpnetwork.com/na...come-families/

Comment

Originally posted by Leah View Post
                  I know Arlington has a transit system of somekind.
                  They don't.

There has got to be some government assistance available until she can get on her feet. I don't know where to look, but maybe she needs to get in touch with some kind of social worker?

Comment

Wish I had a junker car or something to help out.

If the Mom is not working, sounds like that girl may not have a good christmas.
                    Leah, you up for taking donations to at least give the girl a somewhat decent Christmas and maybe some extra money left over to help the mom out?
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I recommend that you contact Ms. Tillie Burgin at Mission Arlington. They have all kinds of resources. Let me know if you need her information.

Comment

Good people? Maybe the kid but the mom has made some bad decisions to end up where she's at. How come the mother's not perusing child support? I'm not trying to be a dick but "good" people are responsible and would make wise decisions, especially if a child's will being is on the line.

Why can't the mom get another job? I know that the job market is tough right but she should be able to do something...

This is Obama's America, there's all kinds of help, even for those that don't need it so I'm sure they can find something.

Comment

If the child is seriously ill she might qualify for SS or SSI, which ever that disabled children get. The reason I am mentioning that, is because SS will pay for and arrange rides to and from doctor appointments free of charge, and will do it based on the needs of the person, meaning no waiting at a bus stop, etc. I know this because I did some work for a lady not long ago that was using the service until I got her brakes fixed.

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                            Good people? Maybe the kid but the mom has made some bad decisions to end up where she's at. How come the mother's not perusing child support? I'm not trying to be a dick but "good" people are responsible and would make wise decisions, especially if a child's will being is on the line.

Why can't the mom get another job? I know that the job market is tough right but she should be able to do something...

This is Obama's America, there's all kinds of help, even for those that don't need it so I'm sure they can find something.
                            Well, we know this dumbass didn't read the entire OP. She made a bad decision to have the dad up and bail, she made a bad decision to stay with her kid while in the RMH.

Have you ever had an immediate family member get cancer that you had to care for? Do you know anything about the child support system? Shut the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              Well, we know this dumbass didn't read the entire OP. She made a bad decision to have the dad up and bail, she made a bad decision to stay with her kid while in the RMH.

Have you ever had an immediate family member get cancer that you had to care for? Do you know anything about the child support system? Shut the fuck up.
                              I've had three cousins and a aunt die from cancer and I know a lot about the child support system tough guy SO why don't you make me shut the fuck up, bitch!

The only one I feel for is the kid.

Comment

Working...
                              X