No announcement yet.

Learning a new instrument as an adult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's easier to go from another instrument to the piano because all the keys match up exactly to the staff. You don't have to switch strings or which ones you're holding down - you just count up or down and that's the key you press. You probably know the keys from playing the violin so if you can find a basic book that shows you how to correctly play the scale in each key then it's just a matter or practicing. My one piece of advice would be to play slowly and make sure you're training your muscles to transition from one chord to the next - speed will come later. If it takes 30 seconds to go from one chord to the next, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
      It's easier to go from another instrument to the piano because all the keys match up exactly to the staff. You don't have to switch strings or which ones you're holding down - you just count up or down and that's the key you press. You probably know the keys from playing the violin so if you can find a basic book that shows you how to correctly play the scale in each key then it's just a matter or practicing. My one piece of advice would be to play slowly and make sure you're training your muscles to transition from one chord to the next - speed will come later. If it takes 30 seconds to go from one chord to the next, so be it.
      This. The piano has a lot to do with muscle memory, just like guitar.

Comment

I dream of learning the banjo.

Comment

With my many years of study, I have become proficient at the skin flute. I dont dare play anyone else's instrument though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
            I dream of learning the banjo.
            I've been wanting to pick up a banjo to go along with my upright bass.

Comment

banjo cant be that hard. Just gotta pick really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                banjo cant be that hard. Just gotta pick really fast.
                Get one fucker, I'll move up to the farm and we can start a bluegrass band and sit around the fire passing the XXX jug around.

Comment

Working...
                X