Paladins second alias is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
    You really have lost it if you're taking solace in your ability to make inflammatory posts; on this board that's generally the last gasp of an attention whore drowning in his own stupidity.
    Always the witty quip from the herb guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
      As a seasoned IT guy and a vB Owner, I can tell you can post IPs, email addresses, etc... whatever you want publicly. It's entirely up to the discretion of the owner and those he elects to become a staff member. Is it something I would do? No. I would just verbally confirm that the suspect IP addresses for the alias do match instead of posting publicly. This just to prevent lurkers/wannabee hackers taking a chance at port scanning his home IP or utilizing other back door practices on his home network. And you are also revealing what area they live in with a customer premise IP like the one posted above. You could GEO IP that address (location of the Switch/POP, which is probably within 20 mile radius of the GEO IP location marker). That's not always cool. However, it is not illegal in any way under normal circumstances. Most Admins/Site owners will not do this on principle. However, there are certain circumstances where you could not post or discuss any info regarding a user profile. And that is if you have been contacted by a State or Federal Law Enforcement regarding a particular user or topic due to a plethora of reasons.

The only information that we (Admins/Owners) can see that you can't see in their public profile. Is there true DOB, if they selected it to be invisible. Their registration IP and email. And you can type in their user name under in section where you can search for IPs. And it will show you every user name that has used that particular IP address. You can also see how many PMs that are in their inbox and various PM statistics. (Can't read, just view your PM stats and usage). And a few other small things. I also run a hack that allows me to track all activity for each specific user. You just click on their name and it shows every thread they read at what time. This can help weed out the trolls and spammers before they start to go to work on flooding your site. Admins/Mods can see your IP just by putting their mouse cursor over a certain indicator spot in each thread and will show the IP for that user. You don't actually have to access the CP to see this data.

There are no laws that protect you in this type of forum environment. Why? Because your name and address are public knowledge. Your IP address on any publicly accessible and open subscriber (http) internet message board falls within that same nomenclature. Anything that can be obtained through the Open Records Act can be posted. However, this is not a good practice for any Site Owner or staff member to do so. It really comes down to a matter of tact. Just because you don't like another guy for whatever reason. It's still not cool at all to reveal info that could potentially allow unscrupulous people to make them vulnerable in any way. People have families and children. You have to think twice before you take actions running a big message forum.

For people who are concerned about the privacy of your WAN (Publicly visible) IP address there are numerous proxy sites you can use to prevent the site owner's from seeing your actual home or work IP. However, most employers will not allow proxies.

- Tim

All I was asking was a simple explanation, and this fits the bill.

I have never professed to be a computer guy, this is just one of my weak spots. I'm not versed in anything computer related, just look up the fact that I wiped my own iPhone clean of contacts.

Comment

On the old board and years ago, you could mouse over the little computer icon on the right side of every post and see the poster's IP address.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          On the old board and years ago, you could mouse over the little computer icon on the right side of every post and see the poster's IP address.
          Yep. Chris deactivated that feature when he updated the board a few years back.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
          X