Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really...this qualifies as a tsunami?

Tsunami warning issued for southern Alaska
    By MARK THIESSEN | Associated Press – 7 mins ago.. .

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The first wave from a small tsunami has been reported in a southeast Alaska community.

State officials say a wave with a height of about 4 inches was measured in Craig late Saturday evening.

That was smaller than earlier forecasts, which said the wave could have been up to 1 foot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy cow, better watch out for that. You might drown your little piggys.

4 inches is a lot of water to move in the ocean.

Comment

I've been sitting here for 3 minutes hitting backspace because no insult is covering your stupidity.

Comment

It doesn't take a lot of wave to make a tsunami dangerous. The 2004 Boxing Day tsunami was only 2 feet high. The 2011 Japanese tsunami, by comparison, was the earth killing a mouse with a sledghammer.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

A 4 inch wave in one place could be a 2 foot wave somewhere else. And a 2 foot wave can cause enormous damage if it hits the wrong place.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            It doesn't take a lot of wave to make a tsunami dangerous. The 2004 Boxing Day tsunami was only 2 feet high. The 2011 Japanese tsunami, by comparison, was the earth killing a mouse with a sledghammer.
            I was reading that the 2011 event reached heights of 133 ft... Fuck that they have to issue the warning regardless. If nothing happens then great.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
              I was reading that the 2011 event reached heights of 133 ft... Fuck that they have to issue the warning regardless. If nothing happens then great.
              It's simple hydraulics. A 4 inch wave over an abyssal plain can get massive when it hits a continental shelf. It's like having a 4 inch pipe linked to a 1 inch pipe. Every inch of movement in the 4 inch pipe is multiplied by 4 in the 1 inch pipe. It gets nutty with tsunamis.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

It's simple hydraulics. A 4 inch wave over an abyssal plain can get massive when it hits a continental shelf. It's like having a 4 inch pipe linked to a 1 inch pipe. Every inch of movement in the 4 inch pipe is multiplied by 4 in the 1 inch pipe. It gets nutty with tsunamis.
                And the the pipe keeps getting stepped down

Comment

Wait until that 4" hits the coastline...

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                    Wait until that 4" hits the coastline...
                    Is that what you tell your wife

Comment

Get ready for a lot more of this...scientists are going to warn of anything for fear of manslaughter charges.

Comment

Interesting.

Had some Ardbeg last night. Solid brag. Didn't much care for it at first, but fell in love during my second glass.

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                        Is that what you tell your wife
                        lol
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Get ready for a lot more of this...scientists are going to warn of anything for fear of manslaughter charges.
                          Welcome to the overly litigious society we now live in.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                            I've been sitting here for 3 minutes hitting backspace because no insult is covering your stupidity.
                            Sorry, just sounds strange to be on alert for a 4 inch wave. Sounds more like high tide than a tsunami. As for my tsunami stupidity, I am guilty. Doubt that I will ever experience one in my lifetime here.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
                              Sorry, just sounds strange to be on alert for a 4 inch wave. Sounds more like high tide than a tsunami. As for my tsunami stupidity, I am guilty. Doubt that I will ever experience one in my lifetime here.
                              A normal tidal wave crests and is only a few feet long. A tsunami is a bunch of LONG waves, so something that's only a few inches in height can really push a lot of shit out of the way because its hundreds of feet long and is displacing a shit load of water. It doesn't take much for a tsunami to fuck shit up.

There is a video I saw on Discovery that really helped me with my understanding but I can not seem to find it. The best visual was it showing what starts a tsunami, think about the ocean floor dropping a few feet and how much water that will displace and how long of a wave that would generate.

Comment

Working...
                              X