Looking for a DD: Civic or Corolla?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a DD: Civic or Corolla?

Any suggestions on which would be a better daily in terms of MPG and reliability? Looking in the 2004 - 2008 year model range. I've seen mixed reviews on both... cant seem to make up my mind. I'm 6'4" tall, so fitting in one may be of concern as well...

I personally love honda. I think that a civic wouldn't be too bad at all for your height, especially if you drive a fox body.

I have a 2002 civic now and drive 1k miles a week and honda engineering is pretty simple, I feel like I can fix everything on the road with my basic tool kit.

I don't know about corollas but the K-series honda motors are timing chain which I think is a big plus.
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Man, I bought my '99 Civic EX daily with right at 100k on it for $2500 and it gets about 37mpg. That's mostly highway with some city driving mixed in. Power everything, ice cold air, heat that will melt your face, and EVERYTHING works.

The distributor went out, leaving me on the side of the road, but I would wager that's mainly due to the previous owner having a shop put in a reman distributor instead of a Honda distributor. Luckily, I got the distributor warrantied so it didn't cost me anything. AAA with first 100 miles free tow came in handy that day.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
        Man, I bought my '99 Civic EX daily with right at 100k on it for $2500 and it gets about 37mpg. That's mostly highway with some city driving mixed in. Power everything, ice cold air, heat that will melt your face, and EVERYTHING works.

The distributor went out, leaving me on the side of the road, but I would wager that's mainly due to the previous owner having a shop put in a reman distributor instead of a Honda distributor. Luckily, I got the distributor warrantied so it didn't cost me anything. AAA with first 100 miles free tow came in handy that day.
        I had a 97 EX got about the same fuel mileage no matter how I drove it. Next time I'm in the market for a beater daily, it will be a civic! Timing belt every 90K regular maintenance and you will be trouble free. Though you do need to make sure you spend the extra $$ on honda parts. I even used nothing but honda oil filters every time the oil was changed.
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          I had a 97 EX got about the same fuel mileage no matter how I drove it. Next time I'm in the market for a beater daily, it will be a civic! Timing belt every 90K regular maintenance and you will be trouble free. Though you do need to make sure you spend the extra $$ on honda parts. I even used nothing but honda oil filters every time the oil was changed.

I use only honda parts as well, but if you order online the parts usually are priced the same as the parts store. I get OEM filters for cheaper than FRAM.
          2006 Civic SI
          2009 Pilot
          1988 GT
          CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Another vote for the civic. I just picked up a 97 EX coupe at auction. Needs a clutch, has 189K on the original.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
              Another vote for the civic. I just picked up a 97 EX coupe at auction. Needs a clutch, has 189K on the original.
              From what I can tell you usually just sell WT junk.
              2006 Civic SI
              2009 Pilot
              1988 GT
              CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

??
                Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                  From what I can tell you usually just sell WT junk.
                  Perhaps you should check before you open your mouth. I have an 02 626 with 94K, I have an 01 GMC Jimmy with 110K, and I just sold a cavalier with 94K on it. I will also have you know that every single one of my lot cars are clean as hell and running perfectly. I don't buy or sell junk. My higher mileage stuff is priced accordingly. Every single customer of mine has been satisfied, I even had one call me, just to thank me for the good deal on an awesome truck.

Now, if you are referring to the Geo I have for sale here in the classifieds, that is a different story. I bought that as a shit box commuter and decided that I didn't like it that much, so I fixed the minor crap on it and I am selling it. It has NOTHING to do with my lot, but it's as clean as I can possibly get it and running very well.
                  Last edited by JC316; 10-27-2012, 01:32 AM.

Comment

+1 on civic. I have a 02' Si as a daily and i have almost 190k on it.
                    Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Civic but not the new Shit . Like 02 and back. My 99 212k still running great. Almost traded it coupled times but can't seem to let it go.
                      Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

My friend has an 05 corolla that he has treated like total shit and it is still in one piece with no mechanical issues.

Comment

I'm in the market for a civic right now.

Should have one by next week.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Get a civic . I have 98 with 295k and a 06 with 95k nether have any real problems.

Comment

Daniel, it is pretty much gonna boil down to which one you like better. They are both really solid cars. Both are reliable as shit and both get solid gas mileage.
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X