Craigslist jack ass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
    In his defense I will say that this has happened to one of my buddies.
    He listed his '96 Impala for sale on CL. Had some guys come out and look at it, stayed for about 2 minutes and left.
    About a week later they call him back saying they want the car but he has to bring it to them in Pleasant Grove. He said that they were being real persistant, and pushy about him coming out. He did not like the vibe and just blew them off.
    Few days later his dogs are going apeshit at 2am. He looks out back and sees flashlights over his back fence pointing at the car. He grabs his pistol and heads out there only to be told to drop the gun, they are police. He does and walks out to talk to them. They say that the car has been reported stolen. He told them that there is no way in hell that he had the title and it had been titled in his name for years. Showed them the title and they were convienced, gave him the detectives name and case number.
    He called and found out that the "stupid mother fuckers" had taken his VIN and got a title in their name then reported it stolen.
    End result he got 13 years in prison.
    Not buying it, not even a little. How exactly did the SMFers get a title with only a VIN number? How did they get a new title in a few days when it takes two weeks minimum to get it transferred? If they filed for a lost title and got a certified copy, the original blue title still trumps it.

Sounds like there is more to that story to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
      Not buying it, not even a little. How exactly did the SMFers get a title with only a VIN number? How did they get a new title in a few days when it takes two weeks minimum to get it transferred? If they filed for a lost title and got a certified copy, the original blue title still trumps it.

Sounds like there is more to that story to me.
      Not to mention that the timing of the application for title would show that they hadn't owned it at the time it was stolen, nor would they have any record of the previous ownership, such as registration, inspection, etc.

All the true owner would have to do is show where/when he acquired the car, and from whom, which would most likely get the case thrown out.

Worst-case is that he gets charged with recieving stolen property, as there is no proof at all that he stole it, and that doesn't carry a 13 year sentence.

Comment

lol, read the thread guys. Glad I wasn't the only one confused with the way he ended that post.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          lol, read the thread guys. Glad I wasn't the only one confused with the way he ended that post.
          Reading is over-rated, but apparently so is including pertinent details.

Comment

Originally posted by Drs2288 View Post
            What's wrong with what he did? He's covering his ass, he doesn't have the title so I'm assuming he doesn't want to take any risk.
            No VIN, no title, what could go wrong? Oh, you could be towing the car back and catch a felony for UUMV and ruin the rest of your life, but hey the seller is just covering his ass on a $500 pile.
            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Just go look in the mirror and say "fuck that guy", that'll make you feel better. Lol

Comment

Doesn't matter with this car, but for future reference, if you just want to find out if a vehicle is stolen or not you can run the VIN on the NICB, or is it NCIB, website for free. Just google that shit. lol No history, but will tell you if it's stolen or not.

I've seen lots of title-less vehicles on CL, been interested in them, but only purchased/titled TWO.

It's not hard to get a bonded title provided the vehicle isn't stolen or does not have a lien against it, but nearly all the ones I've pursued have had a lien at the least.
                US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Working...
                X