Question about getting pulled over by the police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about getting pulled over by the police

So a friend of mine gets pulled over in his drive way. Officer said that the reason he was pulled over (even though he's in his drive way) is because he's showing to have no insurance. So he goes to produce his insurance card with Geico and the office gets his information and finds out that his drivers license is expired and proceeds to write him a ticket for that. The officer than called the insurance company and confirmed that he does have insurance but still still gives him the other ticket.

Is this even legal? Sounds like he was profiled and pulled over for one thing to see if anything else showed up.

Originally posted by Jose View Post
    So a friend of mine gets pulled over in his drive way. Officer said that the reason he was pulled over (even though he's in his drive way) is because he's showing to have no insurance. So he goes to produce his insurance card with Geico and the office gets his information and finds out that his drivers license is expired and proceeds to write him a ticket for that. The officer than called the insurance company and confirmed that he does have insurance but still still gives him the other ticket.

Is this even legal? Sounds like he was profiled and pulled over for one thing to see if anything else showed up.
    I don't know about the legalities, but it's pretty damn chickenshit IMHO.

Comment

There is something they came up wtih that attaches your insurance status to your plates. Its got a ton of bugs from what I understand, and people are getting pulled over when an office runs a plate that is showing a no insurance flag that have insurance.

And yes, it is a probable cause for a stop, if they can find anything it is fair game. Id bet you could pull off an illegal serch if something was done, but it would take a good lawyer.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Cops can pretty much do whatever they want with no regard to safety, the legal process or even use common sense in most situations. I believe when they pull you over, their first thought is to kill you if you make the wrong move. Then their second thing on the list is to revenue generate for their municipality.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          I don't know about the legalities, but it's pretty damn chickenshit IMHO.
          Exactly. He's trying to see if he can get out of the ticket and I'm wondering if there is anything he can do.

Comment

Exactly. He's trying to see if he can get out of the ticket and I'm wondering if there is anything he can do.
            It wouldn't hurt to get a court date. I'm enough of an ass to do it just to tell the story to a judge. I'd be pissed.

Comment

quit breakin the law, asshole
              pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                Cops can pretty much do whatever they want with no regard to safety, the legal process or even use common sense in most situations. I believe when they pull you over, their first thought is to kill you if you make the wrong move. Then their second thing on the list is to revenue generate for their municipality.
                Ain't that the god damn truth. I had a buddy pull into my driveway with a cop pulling him over. Cop pulls up in my driveway behind him and tells ME to go inside my house. Really ? You come on my property and tell me what to do ? Only reason I didn't tell him to fuck off and get his pile off my property was because I didn't want to make it worse on my buddy, but I didn't like it at all.
                Vortex rear stand $75
                8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                11 4 door
                13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                  There is something they came up wtih that attaches your insurance status to your plates. Its got a ton of bugs from what I understand, and people are getting pulled over when an office runs a plate that is showing a no insurance flag that have insurance.

And yes, it is a probable cause for a stop, if they can find anything it is fair game. Id bet you could pull off an illegal serch if something was done, but it would take a good lawyer.
                  I forgot what he called it but that's what he said the officer said that they use a system for looking that up and that he should check with his insurance company to make sure they have it in there system (of course they did).

Is there anyway someone could check to see if it shows up in that system? I'm betting it does show there and he got pulled over to see if anything else showed up.

Guess what municipality this was? Cockrell Hill

Comment

Did the cop follow him to his driveway and then issue the tickets or just see him sitting there?

Comment

Well, yeah. it's legal.

Comment

Guess what municipality this was? Cockrell Hill
                        Oh man, forget about it. There are five major asshole police departments in the DFW area. Number five is a three way tie.

1) Cockrell Hill
                        2) Dalworthington Gardens/Pantego
                        3) Plano
                        4) Farmers branch
                        5) Carrollton, Garland and Mesquite
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                          Did the cop follow him to his driveway and then issue the tickets or just see him sitting there?
                          And that's the problem. I'm sure he was followed for a little bit before he pulled in but the lights were never on until he pulled into the driveway.

Comment

Man, I would have guessed Plano #1.
                            F DWG/Pantego for sure.

Comment

Oh man, forget about it. There are five major asshole police departments in the DFW area. Number five is a three way tie.

1) Cockrell Hill
                              2) Dalworthington Gardens/Pantego
                              3) Plano
                              4) Farmers branch
                              5) Carrollton, Garland and Mesquite
                              Wharz Irving?

I know they fall in there somewhere
                              Originally posted by Sean88gt
                              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Working...
                              X