Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powertochoose.org - which energy provider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
    I see a lot of low rates displayed, but how do I know which is legit or not?

Here are the ones with the best rates currently:

Reach
    Pennywise
    Infinite
    Summer
    StarTex

Any idea to see the feedback on these providers? 5.9 kwh looks pretty good.
    Who I am with...have been since dumping TXfUck 3+ years ago....
    GIFSoup

Comment

I recently put solar panels on my house so now I'm finding out only 2-3 of the providers even offer any kind of buyback or offset for the power I produce. I didn't realize it would cut my choices down so far. Right now I'm using Infinite but giving a lot of power back to the grid for free every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
        Chili - I know that you do this stuff for a living...are there certain geographies where you cannot choose your own provider?....like outside of the city limits? I've been thinking about shopping for a better rate b/c we use a hellofa lot of electricity out here, especially in the winter, but one of my neighbors was telling me that Coserv is our only choice where we live.

I know I just need to pick up the phone and call and ask, but wondering what your experience is on this?

Currently Coserv is charging us $0.129 May-Oct, the same Nov-Apr until 300Kwh, then it drops to $0.119....over 1000Kwh it drops to $0.114. Looking at someone like StarTex, I can lock in for 2-years at $0.097....1-year is more like $0.085. This could equal $100+ per month savings for as much energy as we use in the winter.

Edit - it's because we are in a Co Op....but I'm wondering if there is a way to get out of the Co Op?
        No. Ive tried for 3 years to get out of coserv co-op and cannot. Damn monopoly.

Comment

I loathe co-ops. They are ticks and give you no choice.

Ultimately, when we build, I will spend more money to be stand alone than I ever will on utilities just to break the connection.
          We ended up going with Stream because we had family in it and they waived any deposit/credit check and our total is $.083/kw.

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
            Chili - I know that you do this stuff for a living...are there certain geographies where you cannot choose your own provider?....like outside of the city limits? I've been thinking about shopping for a better rate b/c we use a hellofa lot of electricity out here, especially in the winter, but one of my neighbors was telling me that Coserv is our only choice where we live.

I know I just need to pick up the phone and call and ask, but wondering what your experience is on this?

Currently Coserv is charging us $0.129 May-Oct, the same Nov-Apr until 300Kwh, then it drops to $0.119....over 1000Kwh it drops to $0.114. Looking at someone like StarTex, I can lock in for 2-years at $0.097....1-year is more like $0.085. This could equal $100+ per month savings for as much energy as we use in the winter.

Edit - it's because we are in a Co Op....but I'm wondering if there is a way to get out of the Co Op?
            Unfortunately no, you cannot get energy outside of CoServ, as others mentioned. The entire state of Texas is not deregulated, and some communities chose to create coops. I'm surprised your prices are so high though. In general, electricity prices are low right now, and have been for the last couple of years. While not typically the lowest rate around, I thought they were usually pretty in line with competitive retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              Unfortunately no, you cannot get energy outside of CoServ, as others mentioned. The entire state of Texas is not deregulated, and some communities chose to create coops. I'm surprised your prices are so high though. In general, electricity prices are low right now, and have been for the last couple of years. While not typically the lowest rate around, I thought they were usually pretty in line with competitive retailers.
              I have coserv and it figured to be .095 kwh on this months bill.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I have been using Stream for 7 years now with no problems and great rates
                I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,

but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Comment

My own contract is up for renewal in October, and I always prefer to go for 12 months or longer. The best current offers in the ONCOR Service Area for my own typical usage situation are (surprisingly) New Leaf Energy with StarTex Power running a close second.

Comment

Working...
                  X