Drivers face $300 fine for ignoring bus stop sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers face $300 fine for ignoring bus stop sign

STOP, means stop for a school bus or you will be fined. That’s the promise Monday from Dallas County Schools.

Beginning Oct. 1, police are slapping drivers with a $300 citation when they don’t stop for a school bus with its flashing lights on. Police will be catching drivers with the help of cameras which have been installed on school buses.

Dallas County Schools installed 875 cameras at the beginning of the school year. So far, leaders say they’ve caught hundreds of drivers on camera blowing by the activated stop arm and putting kids in danger.

To date, violators have gotten off with a warning. Those warnings end today.

Dallas County Schools Police Chief Scott Peters insists it’s drivers disregard for the law and students safety that’s driving the district to spend $10.4 million to outfit buses with high-tech cameras.

“Last year in Forney, there was a student killed exiting the bus because someone went around it,” said Peters.

“Absolutely, it’s worth it. Nothing is more important that the safety of our kids,” said Dallas County Schools Board President Larry Duncan.

The bus driver activates the lights and stop arm as students get on and off the bus. The camera records the violation from several angles when a car passes the stopped bus.

The cameras show the front and back of a passing vehicle, which is used to capture the license plate information. Then, an officer reviews the recording.

For a blatant violation, drivers will be ticketed $300. The chief said there have been plenty of violations during the test period and that cameras on every bus busted at least one violator.

“One bus stopping, there’s 21 violations just for that one bus on this particular day,” the chief explains as he reviews the camera’s video.

Not everyone will get a ticket, an officer will use his or her discretion. So far, the district has found around 9 out of 10 recorded violators really did break the law.

“You’re going to get hit with a real $300 fine. Hopefully that will get your attention. When a school bus stops, you stop,” said Duncan.

The district will use the money from citations to buy more cameras, enforcement equipment, help pay for crossing guards, and other student safety programs.
    Originally posted by 03trubluGT
    Your opinion is what sucks.
    You are too stupied and arrogant

fuck em i aint stopping for some punk ass kids, i'll just take the sidewalk around

Comment

haha!
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Doesn't the way they're handling these tickets work the same way as a red light ticket?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          Doesn't the way they're handling these tickets work the same way as a red light ticket?
          probably

but I feel better about these than I do red light cameras, I was driving home last week and I swear if it wasn't for the man upstairs I would have seen this kid get fucking TRUCKED because of some dumb shit not stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            yes, straight to the trash can

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
              probably

but I feel better about these than I do red light cameras, I was driving home last week and I swear if it wasn't for the man upstairs I would have seen this kid get fucking TRUCKED because of some dumb shit not stopping.
              I agree with them being better than red light cameras, but the enforceability may not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                yes, straight to the trash can
                So it's ok to run red lights and pass by a stopped school bus letting kids out?

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                  So it's ok to run red lights and pass by a stopped school bus letting kids out?
                  I don't think that's what he's saying.

Comment

I don't mind the school bus law. Everybody on this earth knows that when a school bus is stopped there's a good chance that some retard will dart into the street. If someone decides not to stop and gets caught then hell yea it should be a steep ticket.
                    "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Dallas County Schools Police Chief Scott Peters insists it’s drivers disregard for the law and students safety that’s driving the district to spend $10.4 million to outfit buses with high-tech cameras.
                      I'd love to see a breakdown of that.

Comment

Amazing Videos, Funny Clips. Updated daily.
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

good!

Comment

Just another cash grab for the city, but damn, you have to be a real dick to not stop for a freaking school bus. I live in the country , so I get stuck behind them all the time on two lane roads and I still manage. Once that sign folds in, it's off to the races for me.

Comment

This is one time I'm god with cameras doing law enforcement. There is a genuine safety issue rather than just another revenue source. Red light cameras can be gamed to increase revenue. Some towns have shortened the yellow lights to increase infractions and as a result have increased accidents.

I will add this. If traffic enforcement cameras are truly about increasing the public's safety, then why don't they take the funds earned from these revenue sources and put them into safety initiatives? I wonder how many teenagers lives could be saved if they used this money to re institute driver safety courses at our high schools.

Comment

Working...
                              X