Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dog pissed on my lawn.

updated 2 hours 43 minutes ago 2010-12-29T20:40:58
    Share Print Font: +-JOLIET, Ill. — A former Marine who was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a man whose puppy urinated on his award-winning lawn was sentenced Wednesday to four years probation.

Charles Clements, 69, won't do any jail time for killing his neighbor Joshua Funches, 23, during an argument outside Clements' home. He could have been sentenced to as long as 20 years in prison, The Chicago Tribune reported.

"This is not justice," said Gail Williams, the slain man's aunt, according to the Tribune.

In May 2009, as Funches passed Clements' home while walking his fox terrier, the dog lifted its leg and relieved itself, witnesses said. The two men got into an argument. After Funches cursed at him, Clements pulled out a .45-caliber handgun, then put it back in his pocket, the Tribune reported. Soon after, Funches punched Clements in the face. Clements said Funches was standing still when he redrew the gun and shot him, the Tribune reported.

Funches later died of his injuries.

..Funches was the father of three young children, including one born after his death, according to the Tribune.

The Will County state's attorney indicated it would not appeal county Judge Daniel Rozak's sentence. The attorney's office issued a statement following the ruling:

“Given the serious nature of the crime and the evidence presented at trial, the State’s Attorney’s Office asked the judge for a prison sentence for Charles Clements. After presiding over the trial and hearing all the facts and circumstances, the judge determined that probation was an appropriate sentence. He is an excellent judge and we respect his decision.”

The judge told Clements the slaying wasn't about a dog urinating on a lawn, but "about your reaction ... to being yelled at, pushed and punched in the face by a 23-year-old man," the Tribune reported.

Having repeatedly earned University Park's lawn upkeep award, Clements often verbally harassed anyone who stepped near or on his precious grass, neighbors said.
    Last edited by ARIX; 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM.

That's a shitty deal.

and learn to clip all the bullshit ads and headlines out of the story when you post it.

Comment

The first line of the story should read: 23-year old man killed for attacking a 69-year old former Marine.

Comment

Man shows you a gun, then puts it away, then you decide to punch said man?

Here's your sign.
        sigpic

Comment

Dogs, cats, and humans have been pissing on grass for eons...so while there really was nothing to get overly mad about, I can understand him shooting after being punched in the face. What a fucking dumbass though. He knew the guy was packing heat and still attacked him?
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
            The first line of the story should read: 23-year old man killed for attacking an openly armed 69-year old former Marine.
            This (and fixed).

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
            Man shows you a gun, then puts it away, then you decide to punch said man?

Here's your sign.
            And that.

Darwinism FTW.

Stevo
            Originally posted by SSMAN
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
              That's a shitty deal.

and learn to clip all the bullshit ads and headlines out of the story when you post it.
              Done, did not notice that.

Comment

All speculation at this point. Could have happened a multitude of ways. It does say that the young kid was standing still while he was shot.- but that could have been during the "freeze motherfucker" timeframe.
                or
                old dude: fuck you! get your dog off my lawn punk kid! *shows gun*
                young dude: no fuck you!
                old dude: i'll can your ass without it! *puts gun away*
                young dude punches old dude
                old dude pulls gun out and shoots kid.

Comment

Originally posted by ARIX View Post
                  Done, did not notice that.
                  thankyoukindly! i saw it once or twice elsewhere today and it made me angry and confused.

Comment

Walt Kowalski: "I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby."

Comment

The judge told Clements the slaying wasn't about a dog urinating on a lawn, but "about your reaction ... to being yelled at, pushed and punched in the face by a 23-year-old man," the Tribune reported.
                      Frankly I'm not sure I would have shot the guy, but then I wasn't there...

That said, what a stupid MF'er. The guy already drew his weapon and you were dumb enough to take a swing at him.

Comment

This is a yard I gotta see.

Comment

Sounds like it could have been a scene out of "Gran turismo".
                          Vortex rear stand $75
                          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                          11 4 door
                          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                            I really can't say I like that movie, but I am a total Clint Eastwood nut. Not really applicable to the thread at hand, just wanted to say that.

Stevo
                            Originally posted by SSMAN
                            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                              I've never heard of that movie. Is it anything like Gran Torino?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X