Can anyone identify this tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this tree?

Its NOT a Rat Snake. My stepfather planted this tree in my mothers yard before he passed away and its always been an ugly tree and has shown very little growth in the last 3 years. Several times I have mowed her yard and have noticed that it attracts a large number of WASPS and other bees but have just stayed clear. She asked me to mow her yard today and when I got to that section of the yard I noticed a large number of wasps again today. I grabbed a couple cans of Flying insect spray and sprayed the tree...and within seconds...I would guess about 100 wasps and bees were swarming and I ran for cover. Any idea why this little tree attracts so many wasps and bees? I am mildly allergic to bee stings and I can't chance getting stung too many times and I need to figure out how to resolve this or I will be removing the tree.

I can't identify the tree, but maybe the sugar water that goes into the hummingbird feeder is attracting the bees and wasps.

Comment

can you get a close up of the leaf? I believe it is a bur oak, either that or a white oak.

Comment

Texas rat tree.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
          I can't identify the tree, but maybe the sugar water that goes into the hummingbird feeder is attracting the bees and wasps.
          Exactly.

Comment

leafy starfish

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
              can you get a close up of the leaf? I believe it is a bur oak, either that or a white oak.
              She said she thought it was a Bur Oak so I'd guess you are correct. I tried to get a close-up of the leaves but there were just too many wasps to get any closer. I asked her about the feeder and she said she hasn't put anything in it in 2 years so I doubt thats it unless it attracts based on design alone.

Comment

Sure looks like an oak. They grow slow, but aren't known for attracting wasps. I'm betting on the feeder as well.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                  Sure looks like an oak. They grow slow, but aren't known for attracting wasps. I'm betting on the feeder as well.
                  Well I just took the feeder down so I'll keep an eye on it and see if it helps.

Comment

I would say oak also. I have 4 gigantic ones in my front yard and they don't attract wasps. That said, I have willows at my car lot that leak sap and those suckers have wasps and insects all over them.

Comment

Just for good measure, put a fake texas rat snake up in it and wait to see if the wasp disappear.

Comment

Go to Home Depot and get one of those wasp traps, it's like a bag you fill with some water and hang up and wasps fly in, but can't get back out. Read the label, not sure if it only attracts certain types, like yellow jackets, etc. There must be a nest there, find it, spray the shit outa the nest and any lingering wasps, then knock the nest down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                          We have a shit load of wasps. They are in our youpon hollies, plum delights, oak and crepe mertle trees. The damn things are everywhere.

I highly doubt that hummingbird feeder is the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                            We have a shit load of wasps. They are in our youpon hollies, plum delights, oak and crepe mertle trees. The damn things are everywhere.

I highly doubt that hummingbird feeder is the cause.
                            Wasps love bacon....

Comment

Crepe myrtles for sure. I have none on my oaks, nor doi remember ever seeing them around oaks like that.

Wht kind of oaks, Matt?
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X