RIP my Brother Benton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP my Brother Benton

As many of you know, my brothers wish was to not be left on life support and a decision was made Christmas day to pull all support the day after Christmas. He was terminal and his body was shutting down a little more each day. There was just no hope for him to ever be off life support and live.

As we all gathered at the hospital Sunday, the day after Christmas, we all sat and told stories about life with Benton. Some I didn't know and others I have heard what seems like a hundred times. Sometimes laughing and other times we'd cry. No one there had gone without tears as we sat and waited for the time to pull his support.

Benton hadn't been conscience for two days and so we knew in our hearts that we had said all we could to him days before. Several if not all of us wished we could have said something to him..."I love you, you have been a great inspiration in my life", etc. Time just kept ticking on.

Just about 30 minutes or so before we pulled the plugs, Benton awoke. In a moments time the waiting room emptied and we all gathered into his room in ICU. Everyone went up to his side and said our goodbyes the best we knew how. He would point at each of us when we got to his side and then pointed to his heart. He was saying to us, "I love you."

I walked up to his side and took his hand and held it cupped in both my hands. I looked him in his eyes and no words would come out of my mouth. All I could do was look at him as my eyes filled with tears. When I let go of his hand he gestured with his hands to hug me. I have never been in such a place in my life. The most heart breaking moment of my life.

As each of us finished our goodbyes, we left mom and dad, his son Ryan and big brother Benny along with Benton,s wife to see him off. At about 4:30 he was let go and Benny came and told us a few minutes later that Benton was gone.

A quote from Benton's facebook;
    well i am tremminal and just live life the best i can before the good Lord decides to take me home . life is great in whatever is thrown my way sometimes bad sometimes good but just thank GOD for whatever you have because it can be easily taken from you at a moments notice

Photobucket

sorry to hear it wayne.

prayers sent to you and your family.

hang tough and remember the good times.
    95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Wow, what a story. Im sorry to hear about your loss.

Comment

You have my condolences, Wayne. I'm sorry.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I'm so sorry Wayne. Very sad to hear it.

Comment

Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he went home in the best way he could; peacefully, surrounded by loved ones, and with love in his heart.
            When my Dad passed, a good friend told me something that sticks with me to this day... "When you remember them and a smile comes to your face, they are not truly gone. Their soul live on in the smiles of those they touched."
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I am very sorry for your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he went home in the best way he could; peacefully, surrounded by loved ones, and with love in his heart.
                When my Dad passed, a good friend told me something that sticks with me to this day... "When you remember them and a smile comes to your face, they are not truly gone. Their soul live on in the smiles of those they touched."
                That is a great saying. I am sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose someone or something you love that much. You two will meet again one day and it will be good again. Buy until that day comes remember all the good times you had.

Comment

very sorry to hear man. RIP Benton. god bless you and your family!

god bless.
                  It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

wow. I teared up reading that, I'm very sorry for your loss and wish your family the best during this hard time.

Comment

Sorry to hear it, bro. I'm sure you and your family gave him the best exit before his big entrance.

Comment

That's rough.. My grandfather was awake but unable to communicate or acknowledge what we were saying when we said goodbye. I can imagine how much harder it would have been if he had.

Comment

I'm sorry buddy. That's a tough situation I hope I never have to experience.
                          Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your brother Wayne. Just remember all the good things.

Comment

Don't even know ya but I had to hold some tears back at work. Really touching write-up of the whole thing... Brother found some peace, I'm sure of it...

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X