No announcement yet.

Opinions on the 5.0 vs. Ecoboost F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually drove both Monday, and ended up getting the FX4 5.0. I like them both about the same. The 5.0 loaded out was priced about $1100 cheaper and I could have picked either one. The only reason I picked the 5.0 is because I think in the long run the Ecoboost will be more maintenance intensive due to more moving parts (turbos, etc) and they make good exhaust kits that sound good for them, but you can't beat that V8 rumble. I have averaged about 16-18 highway in mine.

Comment

I want a new truck If you guys don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your truck? Just trying to see what sort of deals can be had out there. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Comment

For a leftover '12 supercrew, getting $10k off msrp should be easy right now. A few weeks ago I helped my sis get an xlt 5.0 supercrew that stickered for $37k for $26k before ttl.

Comment

I bought 3-4 Ecoboost trucks for our company and after our safety director had some significant issues with his Ecoboost around 60k miles (he drives A LOT) which the dealership took a very, very long time to fix based on the assertion it was a condensation issue which Ford didn't have a fix out for yet (engine was missing pretty bad when given more than 1/3 throttle. Obviously not a safe situation pulling out into traffic).

Turns out after several trips to the dealer, it was some coil packs and the truck is running good again. Hope that driving around with the engine miss didn't cause any long-term damage to the engine.

Long story short, we are now buying 5.0L engines for our 1/2 ton trucks. Less of a PITA over the long haul is our guess. Ford is using the public to be test dummies for their new advanced engine which btw is pretty awesome when it's running good. So, we hope it was an isolated issue with our Ecoboost truck and the other ones are still doing fine, but have much less mileage. In the meantime, we decided not to take any more risk and are doing the 5.0L for now.
          Ford
          GM
          Toyota
          VAG

Comment

The ecoboost intercooler situation is still a huge issue that Ford can't fix. I don't understand how this is such a big problem in the trucks and not in their ecoboost suvs (or did I miss something?).

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
              For a leftover '12 supercrew, getting $10k off msrp should be easy right now. A few weeks ago I helped my sis get an xlt 5.0 supercrew that stickered for $37k for $26k before ttl.
              Thanks for the info. I was looking at a leftover '12 SuperCrew with a 5.0 on eBay on it and they are asking $28K for it. It's been on there for a little while and I'm wondering if they would be willing to deal. Still thinking though. I have an '02 SuperCrew that is still a great truck other than my recent alternator problem and I haven't a car payment in a couple of years and not sure if I'm ready for that again yet.

Comment

Save up for a nice down payment for a '13 this time next year. The '13s have some nice upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by jason07 View Post
                  I average 22-23 mpg (80% highway) with my ecoboost. Mine is a Lariat 4x4 and I absolutley love this truck.
                  That is excellent, especially for a 4x4.

If I was choosing one today, I would want the EB.

Comment

Working...
                  X