Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no 5.0L in 2012 Expedition?

The 2012 shows the 5.4L SOHC 3V V8.

Why do you think they aren't offering the 5.0L?

The 5.4 shows 310 HP yet the 5.0 in the truck has 360 HP and gets better mileage.

Does anyone else think Ford had an overrun of 5.4s and just dumped them into the 2012 Expedition?

The last I heard, the Expedition is getting a refresh soon (but not a full redesign). I expect they'll offer the 5.0 and the EB V6 when that happens.

They'll have to do something because GM isn't that far from introducing entirely new large SUVs.

Comment

It needs the ecoboost 3.5, I think it'd be too heavy for the 5.0 imo. Or the 6.2 to compete with the Yukon Denali 6.2.

But yes, the expy is a joke with the boat anchor 5.4, its a very nice vehicle but it needs more power.

Comment

I have no clue.
        But considering they changed drivetrain options to fwd/awd, i can't see a reason to consider them anymore for the price.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          The 2012 shows the 5.4L SOHC 3V V8.

Why do you think they aren't offering the 5.0L?

The 5.4 shows 310 HP yet the 5.0 in the truck has 360 HP and gets better mileage.

Does anyone else think Ford had an overrun of 5.4s and just dumped them into the 2012 Expedition?
          I think you answered your own question mostly. By design, a 5.4 would likely have a flatter torque curve, but that is conceptual, as I'm not looking at their examples. I also bet they want to save their design dollars for the big changes coming soon, not burn it up on stuff that most people won't notice. Ask most people what engine their Expy has in it, and you'll likely hear "a V8"...
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
            It needs the ecoboost 3.5, I think it'd be too heavy for the 5.0 imo. Or the 6.2 to compete with the Yukon Denali 6.2.

But yes, the expy is a joke with the boat anchor 5.4, its a very nice vehicle but it needs more power.
            360hp compared to the current 310? I think the 5.0 is just fine as a base engine with the EB V6 as the upgrade. It's also better than the 320hp you get from the Tahoe's 5.3L and 352HP from the 6.0 in the Suburban. It's a huge SUV, not a sports car

Comment

from what I read they are getting the same or very similar ecoboost that is in the F150's

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                360hp compared to the current 310? I think the 5.0 is just fine as a base engine with the EB V6 as the upgrade.
                I know its has more horsepower, but I'd rather have the ecoboost 3.5 because of the torque difference.

420 @ 2500 rpm vs 380 @ 4250 rpm. Torque gets you moving, and in a tank like the Expedition, I'd rather have that low end torque.

Comment

I know its has more horsepower, but I'd rather have the ecoboost 3.5 because of the torque difference.

420 @ 2500 rpm vs 380 @ 4250 rpm. Torque gets you moving, and in a tank like the Expedition, I'd rather have that low end torque.
                  If the EcoBoost is such a great engine, why are the 5.0's winning at the drag strip?

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    If the EcoBoost is such a great engine, why are the 5.0's winning at the drag strip?
                    They must be having the infamous intercooler condensation problem? The ecoboost is an awesome engine, tuned/exhaust Taurus and Flex ecos are running high 12s.

Dot get me wrong, I personally want a 5.0 regular cab with LTs, catback, boss 302 IM and 5star 93 octane tune for a toy. I just cant get over the exhaust note of the v6.

Comment

They must be having the infamous intercooler condensation problem? The ecoboost is an awesome engine, tuned/exhaust Taurus and Flex ecos are running high 12s.

Dot get me wrong, I personally want a 5.0 regular cab with LTs, catback, boss 302 IM and 5star 93 octane tune for a toy. I just cant get over the exhaust note of the v6.
                      After doing a search, it looks like the 5.0L vs EB is pretty much a stalemate at the quarter and ends up being the driver making the difference.

I would love a Roush supercharger kit for my 5.0L.

Comment

The 5.0 f-150s make rediculous power with a blower and low psi. I think the Roush one puts down close to 500 rwhp with just 6 psi if Im not mistaken.

Comment

I see what you're saying and it's all good. I'm just going at it from a marketing/product perspective.

Comment

We did a Kb3.6 on a new f150 with a 5.0. Made 750rw if i remember right..was def alot of fun to drive

Comment

Originally posted by Cmarsh View Post
                              We did a Kb3.6 on a new f150 with a 5.0. Made 750rw if i remember right..was def alot of fun to drive
                              Step right up folks, get your crack cocaine right here!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X