Officer Laid to Rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Laid to Rest

As much FTP as goes around here it is a good reminder to the risks cops take just doing their job. The POS that shot this guy died in the hospital yesterday. From what I understand he was just trying to serve papers to the guy.

SAN ANGELO, Texas — Big Lake's Joshua Mitchell made his final trip home Tuesday flanked by a family of law enforcement and gazed upon by area residents paying their respects.

Along the route of Mitchell's funeral cortege, San Angelo's Doug Cockrell, who lived 18 years in Big Lake, parked his truck in a convenience store parking lot, got out and bade farewell to someone he had seen grow up.

His memories of Mitchell echoed those of other Big Lake residents — they recall his easy demeanor, his kind nature and how he would go out of his way to be friendly.

"Reagan County didn't lose an officer," Cockrell said. "They lost a friend."

Mitchell, a deputy with Reagan County Sheriff's Department, died Aug. 1 while on duty. The suspected shooter, Marcus Madison, was pronounced dead Tuesday afternoon.

Cockrell was one of several dozen people clustered in parking lots near Sunset Drive and Sherwood Way on Tuesday. He said seeing the gathering was encouraging.

"It's good to know there are good American people out there who still support our law enforcement," Cockrell said.

He said the gathering would be small compared to today's funeral services.

Gerald Bastin, pastor of Big Lake's First Baptist Church, said the funeral is expected to draw thousands.

The church will open the sanctuary and fellowship hall for overflow. Bastin said a Midland TV station will livestream the services to the local middle school as well.

Ordained minister Bryan Bitner will lead services and be assisted by Bastin.

An honor guard ceremony will be held in Big Lake's park pavilion after the graveside service.

Mitchell's procession was the second of its kind to go through San Angelo this year. The San Angelo Police Department also was part of the funeral procession of Austin Officer Jaime Padron, who was fatally shot April 6 when responding to a call in Austin, and who had been on the police force in San Angelo before he went to Austin.

Neal Aylor and William Briels, members of Forgiven Ministries, parked near Cockrell's truck to watch the convoy.

Aylor, who wasn't able to attend the Padron procession, said he felt it was important to show support. He didn't know Mitchell personally but respected the position he held.

"He was an officer and paid to protect us," Aylor said.

That was an all around bad deal in Big Lake. I'm just glad the POS died last night after being in the hospital for almost a week for non life threatening problems. RIP RCSO Mitchell.

Comment

Rip...

Comment

Wow watching the news tonight, I didn't realize he was only 26. Really hits home with him being a year younger than me.

Comment

Rest In Peace, brother.

Comment

RIP!!!

I thought this was interesting!

"Madison is said to have surrendered to police after the standoff and was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the face. Media reports state that the preliminary cause of Madison’s death was the gunshot wound, but officials earlier stated that they believed the injury was not life threatening."
            Ded

Comment

RIP!

Sent from my cellular portable phone device
              1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
              2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
              2000 F250 4x4 PSD
              2012 Ford Exploder
              www.fquick.com/payne5757
              www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

Rip
                aka "borntoboogie"

Comment

Working...
                X