Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH would make fire alarms go off for no reason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH would make fire alarms go off for no reason?

This morning about 5:30am, the fire alarm in the kids room and the one in our bedroom went off for a few seconds. These are hardwired units. The house is less than 8 months old. I searched every room in the house for any smoke or unusual smell, but nothing. I was too nervous to go back to sleep after that and kept checking every few minutes.

What the heck could cause it? I plan to call the builder about it.

ghosts

Comment

did u fart?

Comment

Depends what kind of detector it is. Is it heat, smoke, or carbon monoxide? Call FD if it happens again.

Comment

Mine get quirky when the batteries get low. They chirp or even go off... Even being hardwired batteries need to be changed.

Comment

1. Check to see if it has a Carbon Monoxide detector built in. If it does, get it checked.
            2. Change the batteries. Couver is correct that some can go off if the battery is low or dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
              Mine get quirky when the batteries get low. They chirp or even go off... Even being hardwired batteries need to be changed.
              This.. change the batteries and see if that fixes it.

God I hate those chirps!

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                God I hate those chirps!
                same here... but i hate fires more

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                  same here... but i hate fires more
                  Of course.. I remember when I first moved in to the house.. I have them in every room, and I had at least two chirping. So instead of being smart I was trying to find those chirping rather than just replacing all batteries. lol oh man that was a losing battle. I finally figured out the dumbassery I was participating in and replaced them all.

I actually just had another one start back up 4 years later. I bought batteries for them all and replaced them all the first time around this time.

Comment

Again on the low battery. These fuckers will sound in on their glory on a last hoo-ra-ra if the batteries are low... Just be ready to be fully frustrated when u replace their 9volt batteries and it sounds off AGAIN. Read the front cover of the alarm about what the proceedure of the new battery/reset is. My best friend is a hose jockey and I threatened to rip em outa the ceiling and toss em due to this. Hes bigger then me and his knuckles literally drag on the concrete so I did as he instructed... Needless to say, I still have fire alarms.

Comment

its them night farts you get....given the detector mixed signals.
                      Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Comment

Low battery and sometimes dust can even set them off like that. Swap out the battery and blow them out with a little duster air can.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                          ghosts
                          Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                          did u fart?
                          Ghost farts. Your welcome

Comment

Frank, do you have an alarm system?
                            Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Fire?

Comment