Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used car warranty...take vehicle to a dealer or local shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used car warranty...take vehicle to a dealer or local shop?

Had the daily (Chrysler Aspen) at NTB to get the tires rotated and the guy said I have a leaking PS rack. Looks to be covered on my used car warranty though Olymicare. The closest Dodge/Chrysler dealership isnt exactly close so it would be more convienient to take it to some place closer. Should I nut up and just take it to the Dodge dealer or does it not really matter?

I guess the main thing I am getting at is, if I take it to a local shop (possibly even a chevy or ford dealership close by), will they use OEM parts or are they at liberty to use the cheaper shit?

It shouldn't matter(the shop has to accept your warranty), i took mine to a buddy's shop... he usually waived the deductible for me if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
      Had the daily (Chrysler Aspen) at NTB to get the tires rotated and the guy said I have a leaking PS rack. Looks to be covered on my used car warranty though Olymicare. The closest Dodge/Chrysler dealership isnt exactly close so it would be more convienient to take it to some place closer. Should I nut up and just take it to the Dodge dealer or does it not really matter?

I guess the main thing I am getting at is, if I take it to a local shop (possibly even a chevy or ford dealership close by), will they use OEM parts or are they at liberty to use the cheaper shit?
      It all depends on the company you bought the warranty through (Olymicare) and their guidelines.

Comment

Timmeh,

It says if within a 50 mile radius (which I am) I am "supposed" to take it to the dealer where I purchased the car. I called and asked if I could take it to the closer Dodge dealer and they said I could. After hanging up, I posed the above question in my head regarding use of OEM vs Aftermarket parts, and if taking it to a place without a DiamlerChrysler parts house attached to it might result in aftermarket junk being used.

Needless to say, I have always either had a factory warranty or fixed shit myself, so this is new territory for me.

Comment

The warranty policy will more than likely require reman parts. I would call a local place which you trust and make sure they will honor the policy.
          Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
            Timmeh,

It says if within a 50 mile radius (which I am) I am "supposed" to take it to the dealer where I purchased the car. I called and asked if I could take it to the closer Dodge dealer and they said I could. After hanging up, I posed the above question in my head regarding use of OEM vs Aftermarket parts, and if taking it to a place without a DiamlerChrysler parts house attached to it might result in aftermarket junk being used.

Needless to say, I have always either had a factory warranty or fixed shit myself, so this is new territory for me.
            I'd go to a Dodge dealer. I know when we took Tiffany's Audi to the Toyota dealer she bought it from, they used aftermarket parts but the warranty she bought stipulated that we had to take it to the dealer that sold her the car or there was an extra $100 deductible. Sometimes the Toyota dealer would take it to Audi, and those parts would be genuine Audi parts. Other times Toyota fixed it in-house and bought whatever parts they wanted to buy.

I'd take it to Dodge.

Comment

Exactly the example I was looking for...thanks Tim. I guess I didnt mention we purchased it from Gateway Buick/GMC in Garland. To the POS Dodge house I go.

Comment

my vw has a third party warranty, and I usually just drop it off at the dealer. I have to pay a $100 deductible though.

Comment

Working...
                X