V6 motors ,circa 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 motors ,circa 1985

Are these V6 carbed motors from around 1985 any good? I found a car I want, but its got the V6 with 85k on the clock. I would eventually drop the V8 in, but wanna see how long that motor should last...Any thoughts?

Ford? Chebby? Dodge? Import?
    If ford 3.8, those are just as reliable as 5.0 if I'm not mistaken. They are a 5.0 sans 2 cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
      Ford? If ford 3.8, those are just as reliable as 5.0 if I'm not mistaken. They are a 5.0 sans 2 cylinders
      Wrong as can be. You are definitely mistaken. The mid-late '80's 3.8's are prone to headgasket failures and cracked heads.

OP, the car may run well for quite some time. Perhaps it will be long enough to have your swap parts ready.

Personally, I wouldn't be too scared of buying it but it helps to know what the most common weak points are and to be ready to address them as needed.

Comment

About the only V6 from the mid 80's that's a V8-2 cylinders in the 4.3 Chevy.

I can't think of a single FWD V6 car from the 80's and 90's that isn't a steaming pile of shit.

Comment

Ford 3.0 are very reliable. The question at hand has way to many variables though.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
            Ford 3.0 are very reliable. The question at hand has way to many variables though.
            Wasn't around in 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
              Wasn't around in 1985.
              Tells you what I know. How about the GM 3.8?

Comment

Its a FORD, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                  The OHV 3.0 is, but everything around the car they put it in is shit.

Comment

engin

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                    Ford? Chebby? Dodge? Import?
                    If ford 3.8, those are just as reliable as 5.0 if I'm not mistaken. They are a 5.0 sans 2 cylinders
                    In reality Ford was impressed with the Buick 231, and basically reverse engineered it, the timing cover with external oil pump is virtually indentical to the Buick setup.

Ford did us better aluminum heads, although initially, they head gaskets issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                      About the only V6 from the mid 80's that's a V8-2 cylinders in the 4.3 Chevy.

I can't think of a single FWD V6 car from the 80's and 90's that isn't a steaming pile of shit.
                      The 84-85 Riviera T-Type (SFI Turbo 3.8 Buick with 200HP/300Ft-lbs), the late 80's-late 90's Le Sabre's, Park Ave Ultra's, Rivieras, and Grand Prix GTP's had the Supercharged 3800 with anywhere from 200hp in the late 80's to 260hp with the last SC Grand Prix. The MOTORS weren't bad....but the cars they were installed in weren't all that great.

Comment

Working...
                      X