Grinch thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
    spend it with my inlaws... your chipper cheer will disappear awful quick like
    That is why my God invented 30 year Macallan.
    Originally posted by Denny
    I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Ive been getting depressed every year since I was a little kid when the holidays come around. Getting passed back and forth between mom's and dad's side of the family, the hatred for each other always got me down. It fucking ruined any fun I could ever have with my family, and twenty-something years later, it still blows.

I do look forward to a few things:

Christmas eve shoping with my sister. We didnt get to grow up together, so when we were old enough to drive, we stated doing it. It works out, we mostly always are in town.

Christmas eve night, my wife's family gets together and does a chinese gift exchange. Most of her cousins show up, and that is good times, especially after the folks leave and we open the wine, beer and booze and catch up.

This year, my daughter was born on the 22nd. She is the first grandchild of both our families, so that has been fun with everyone playing (somewhat) nice in order to see the baby. Hopefully I can keep my spirits up for her so we can celebrate her birthday and be happy in on coming years.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        Ive been getting depressed every year since I was a little kid when the holidays come around. Getting passed back and forth between mom's and dad's side of the family, the hatred for each other always got me down. It fucking ruined any fun I could ever have with my family, and twenty-something years later, it still blows.
        I grew up in a similar situation, and though I still hate the occasional guilt trip, we've all grown past most of that back and forth BS. Didn't have to deal with any of it this year.

Comment

Rockin' my "Bah Humbug" t-shirt all day. I wouldn't say the problem is the holidays themselves. It's the overcommercialization of them by corporate America and the fact that it brings out the worst of so many people. The idiots shopping everywhere, the out of towers clogging up the roads on my normal daily drive home, the assholes causing accidents because their head is so far up baby Jesus' ass they can't think clearly, the stress over gettin bratty little kids shit that they're ungrateful for. I'll be glad when it's over.

Comment

Y'all concentrate on the bad stuff. I'll concentrate on the good stuff.
            Originally posted by Denny
            I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuysRule View Post
              Plenty of good stuff... My family coming to my house this year and having filet mignon and doing a white elephant exchange and having fun with each other. My fiancé and I celebrating our first Christmas in our house we bought earlier this year. There's just so much other shit that isn't worth dealing with just because it's Christmas.

Comment

Exactly, a simple call home and hearing all the hub bub in the background let me know that I am far from alone this holiday season, just far from home. The drunk begging for money when I walked up to the store a minute ago let me know that it could be much worse. Life truly is what you make of it, regardless of where you're at or who your with.

Comment

That is why my God invented 30 year Macallan.
                  well, the brother in law took some initiative and has over 6 months sober and is regularly going to AA meetings, so I'm not going to drink in front of him.

I will admit that today hasn't been horrible. Played some board games with the kids and then got mixed up in the cooking. We're gonna eat dinner in about an hour and then watch Scrooged...

so... I guess this year has potential to go down as a decent xmas
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

The really stupid holiday hoopla is that surrounding New Year's Eve. New Years Day, yes, but not all the going ga-ga over New Year's Eve.

Comment

You know, a lot of things came into perspective for me this year. I'm really glad to have this time with my family and friends. This is one of the first years I haven't had to be on call over the holidays, and I got 2 weeks off. I've been in Austin with my mom, sister, best friend and his wife, mom and his kids. Being that they live 3 hours away I don't see them near enough as a godfather should. I'm heading to corpus to see my dad, step mom, and her kids tomorrow. I don't care about presents, and we didn't even exchange gifts today, just stockings. But I'm super stoked about possibly getting to sail Monday in corpus with my dad. I've finally decided that sharing time together with the ones you love is what this time of year is all about. Hopefully I find someone to share it with for next year, because I can't think of anything more awesome than sharing my family and friends with others.

Comment

I'm not religious, no kids, but I love everything about Christmas. Just like everything else in life, you can look at it with a positive attitude, make the best of it, and have a good time. Or, you can focus on the bad, put a negative spin on things, and let a bunch of trivial shit get you all miserable. Seems like a real easy choice to me. Call me crazy, but I like being happy. A few here may have legit reasons to be down this time of year, and for those, I sympathize, but it's obvious that there are a lot of people who either prefer to be negative about everything (yuck!), or just try way too hard to be different, or just think they are way too cool for it all.

It's not that crucial. Relax, smile, enjoy the good parts and don't waste any time focusing on the things that don't bring you any joy.

Merry Christmas! I wish it wasn't almost over!

Comment

Kids left with their dad at noon..the man of the house is still at work. I spent all day watching netflix..eating Mac and Cheese. Christmas alone sucks big ones..
                          sigpic

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            I'm not religious, no kids, but I love everything about Christmas. Just like everything else in life, you can look at it with a positive attitude, make the best of it, and have a good time. Or, you can focus on the bad, put a negative spin on things, and let a bunch of trivial shit get you all miserable. Seems like a real easy choice to me. Call me crazy, but I like being happy. A few here may have legit reasons to be down this time of year, and for those, I sympathize, but it's obvious that there are a lot of people who either prefer to be negative about everything (yuck!), or just try way too hard to be different, or just think they are way too cool for it all.

It's not that crucial. Relax, smile, enjoy the good parts and don't waste any time focusing on the things that don't bring you any joy.

Merry Christmas! I wish it wasn't almost over!
                            Merry Christmas man, I'd be there if I could. You are so right.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            You know, a lot of things came into perspective for me this year. I'm really glad to have this time with my family and friends. This is one of the first years I haven't had to be on call over the holidays, and I got 2 weeks off. I've been in Austin with my mom, sister, best friend and his wife, mom and his kids. Being that they live 3 hours away I don't see them near enough as a godfather should. I'm heading to corpus to see my dad, step mom, and her kids tomorrow. I don't care about presents, and we didn't even exchange gifts today, just stockings. But I'm super stoked about possibly getting to sail Monday in corpus with my dad. I've finally decided that sharing time together with the ones you love is what this time of year is all about. Hopefully I find someone to share it with for next year, because I can't think of anything more awesome than sharing my family and friends with others.
                            I totally agree Matt, and 3 hours isn't that far... Make time.

Originally posted by Smurfette View Post
                            Kids left with their dad at noon..the man of the house is still at work. I spent all day watching netflix..eating Mac and Cheese. Christmas alone sucks big ones..
                            I'm makin' mac & cheese for dinner, and some bbq sausage. Life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                              Trey, post pics of the ex, lol.
                              I've got nothing.

I did have some excitement today - burglar alarm went off while I was at grandma's so I got to haul ass home in the Cobra, that was pretty fun.

Comment

This time of the year is tough for me.

Both of my parents are dead and miss them greatly.
                                Single with no kids. (But have a dog and cat and they got treats).
                                Sister lives in Michigan. We are both too broke to travel.
                                Most close friends have family/kids/parents, etc.

I usually play it simple. Watched Christmas Vacation, and A Christmas Story. Watched some basketball, Cows lose. Watched 4 episodes of The Pacific.

Oh yeah... and had some tasty beverages.
                                Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X