Interviews.... Love 'em.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
    Best of luck on it. You looking to come back to TX or staying in the People's Republic?
    Prospective boss is based here in SF, but the company has offices in Dallas and encourages working remotely. Hoping to get the offer and move and work form the Dallas office after a couple quarters.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Try testing for a fire department.

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
        Everyone else in this thread, watch-out, this guy is under more pressure than you....

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
          Originally posted by MattB View Post
          Everyone else in this thread, watch-out, this guy is under more pressure than you....
          Man, I've been waiting FOREVER to use this one!

Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
            Well, he has a point. The hiring process is a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit. Several rounds of tests and interviews. But beyond that, your life is on the line. I'm not discounting what anyone does, but the danger definitely creates pressure.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Interviewing is a lot easier when you dont have responsibilities or have enough money to cover the ones you do for years to come.

Comment

Interview with the care and attitude of Peter Gibbons.

Comment

Many, many years ago, I had one fresh out of college, it went like shit, I felt bad going into it, and the guy was pretty hard-core on me the whole time. By the end of it, I basically just said fuck it, told him I needed to go, and left.

A few days later I had another interview with a different company and was hired on the spot. A day or so later, the guy from the first mentioned company calls me up and says I had the job, I tell him thanks but no thanks that I had already found one, and this guy goes through the roof, he just could NOT believe that I wasn't going to come in to work for him. I mean actually cussing me on the phone, etc etc. It was very refreshing, mentally, to laugh my ass off at him on the phone after the near Drill Sargent grilling I had in his office during the interview.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I just interviewed with a fire dept, and it went great. They just had a guy who had done the job previously who was a perfect fit. I wasnt too beat up.

I recently had an interview where i had -horrible- prep by their sales director.

Not only that, but so many parameters of the call were off what i was expecting. Was over the phone, and not an in person conference. It was a one on one, instead of a panel with my contact , the CEO, and a third director. The call was late, and then ontop of that, I was called late to be told they were running late and needed to call back at an unspecified time.

I gave my pitch with the best planning i had been given, and it turns out that during the 4 minute conversation, he boiled down "what do you think are the positives you see about joining us" and didnt like my answer. Apparently, he wanted to know "what i bring to the table" but i guess he asked it in a really wierd way. Long story short, guy was in a cab running late to a meeting at 30 Rock, im sure he was mr. big shot fancy pants and couldnt have time for a proper interview.

That was my first interview i have ever felt was "bad". I spent the next 3 days prepping for my next interview as compensation, covering EVERY angle i could, from a 30 second "personal commercial" to some really oddball behavioral science style interviews. It was a much stronger interview, all i am waiting on now is the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                      I recently had an interview where i had -horrible- prep by their sales director.

Not only that, but so many parameters of the call were off what i was expecting. Was over the phone, and not an in person conference. It was a one on one, instead of a panel with my contact , the CEO, and a third director. The call was late, and then ontop of that, I was called late to be told they were running late and needed to call back at an unspecified time.

I gave my pitch with the best planning i had been given, and it turns out that during the 4 minute conversation, he boiled down "what do you think are the positives you see about joining us" and didnt like my answer. Apparently, he wanted to know "what i bring to the table" but i guess he asked it in a really wierd way. Long story short, guy was in a cab running late to a meeting at 30 Rock, im sure he was mr. big shot fancy pants and couldnt have time for a proper interview.

That was my first interview i have ever felt was "bad". I spent the next 3 days prepping for my next interview as compensation, covering EVERY angle i could, from a 30 second "personal commercial" to some really oddball behavioral science style interviews. It was a much stronger interview, all i am waiting on now is the offer.
                      Wow, sounds like a fine organization....... and one I've worked for before.

Comment

I actually had a interview once that the idiot was asking some of the most off the wall questions to me, and I finnally figured out he was looking at the wrong resume and interviewing me for a completely different position than I applied for. He was a moron.

My previous job had 4 interviews, and I still havent figured out why. This current position I never actually interviewed for, I knew the management pretty well from the previous gig, so I was hired as soon as they heard I was looking. In fact, I had to fill out an application for the file after I had been hired.

Im not looking forward to interviewing again, but I think I need to.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Part of the interview process is to make you look like shit so you dont ask for much. Its all part of the game.

Comment

I feel pretty lucky in comparison. Got out of the miltary 10 years ago and have had three positions with two major international companies.

The first interview was fairly easy but was a formal interview - no tough questions and got the offer.

The second interview was so laid back that I thought the hiring mgr and I were just shooting the shit while waiting for another interviewer to show up. We talked sports, cars, and a couple other totally unrelated topics. About the time I thought to myself, "I wonder when the real interview is going to start?" he said, "Well, I'm going to make you an offer". I imagine the look of surprise on my face was priceless. lol

Third position is a remote position with the same company as #2. Never had an interview with the hiring mgr. Was hired based on feedback of my future colleagues. Actually worked for the guy for nearly 2 years before we ever met in person. Bizarre.
                            - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                            1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Congrats Ross.

I was hired over dinner and beers at a steak house. (High pressure shit)

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                                Best of luck on it. You looking to come back to TX or staying in the People's Republic?
                                They sent over the official employment application and request for references today. As long as they'll let me work from Dallas, I'm set.
                                Originally posted by davbrucas
                                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X