Insurance Claim Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Claim Question.

My mother-in-law lives at the end of a street that is just a big circle. My wife parked like normal and some guy barely scuffed the car trying to u-turn. He wants to settle without going through the insurance companies. How long do we have to file a claim after the accident?

Just for the record he hit the car, and came to the front door to notify her. I don't think he is out to screw anyone. I just wanna be on the safe side just in case he starts stalling us and taking to long or changes his mind for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

24 hours.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

24 hours and the sooner the better.

Comment

If its just a scuff, settle it with him. It will buff out or at most cost a couple hundred to paint.

Do you have a pic?

Comment

Its a grey area. There isnt a "time limit", if there was valid coverage on the date of loss, you can report it. The insurance company will question why the delay to report it though.

I would report it to his insurance company asap, 9/10 its a stall tactic.

Comment

statute of limitations to file is 2 years in Texas

Comment

Try to post pic

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Needs repaint. Shouldn't be too bad out of pocket for him, probably less than deductible

Comment

Itll need a respray most likely. Get a quote tomorrow and ask for cash. If he doesnt pay, file a claim.

Comment

Probably anywhere from $600-800 in damage. She'd also be owed a rental car unless she can do without. There's no set time limit to file the claim. The one-post wonder who said you have 2 years to file the claim is incorrect. The statute of limitations pertains to bringing a law suit. If you file a claim at 1 year and 364 days and don't bring a suit, you're likely going to be fucked.

Comment

Everyone I know who has been offered cash get's screwed. I would fax him some sort of statement requiring he claiming responsibility and agree to pay within x days of receiving a repair estimate.

That will make it easier when there is $499 in damage and you have to take him to small claims, which could take a year + attempting to collect even after you have won.

Comment

This is what insurance is for. 600ish tops, mist likely rates will stay the same and hassle is averted. C.Y.A. Man, make the claim.

Comment

Fuck a bunch of settling, you don't owe him any favors. He admitted fault, file a claim, and let your insurance go after his. You shouldn't be out of pocket for anything, if he indeed does have insurance.

Comment

If he seems like an honest person I would give him a chance. Id get 2 quotes and allow him to pay cash. Id also probably get a notarized letter stating he will be responsible for ALL costs of the repair if extra damage is noted by the body shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X