I want to build a computer/work desk, need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to build a computer/work desk, need ideas

Anyone build their own? I'm looking to make something about 50" L x 24" or so (no more than 30") D x 29" or 30" H. Seems like everything I've been looking at with those dimensions are $150+, and I figured since I have the tools, I'd just build one and make it what I want it. Need some ideas, especially on finishing details.

I'm not much of a furniture maker, but I recently bought an office desk with a computer desk. The one thing I found really handy was that it has kind of a "J" shaped rail under where the cords go through that you run the cables through. That way the cords (i.e. monitors, speakers, etc.) don't hang down by your feet.

Comment

That's a good tip. I have a rough Idea of what I want it to look like, I just need handy tips like this, or things that may get over-looked by manufacturers that people really would like to see in their desks. I don't wanna get it done then have to lug it back out of the house to change/fix it.

Comment

Check the below build out...

Comment

^^ That's pretty wicked, but I'll save something like that for when I actually buy a house.

Comment

I bought a metal work bench from Lowes that, after built, was very nice and sturdy. The only piece I didn't care for was the particle board desk top. An idea I came up with was section of formice countertop to replace the particle board. With the measurement in hand, I set off back to Lowes and bought a section that only required just enough cutting to drop right in. Just something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmuskie View Post
              I bought a metal work bench from Lowes that, after built, was very nice and sturdy. The only piece I didn't care for was the particle board desk top. An idea I came up with was section of formice countertop to replace the particle board. With the measurement in hand, I set off back to Lowes and bought a section that only required just enough cutting to drop right in. Just something to consider.
              That's a good point. It would be easier if I could find something I liked at a reasonable price that I could just modify instead of building one up from scratch. I wanted to build something like this without all the intricate innards and with different legs:

I like the top/box design, just need larger more generic spaces inside, and different legs.

Comment

Maybe look at secondhand office furniture stores. I've been scouring the web here lately trying to find some metal storage cabinets. I don't recall the website offhand, but there is a place in the Garland area that has several pieces of office furniture to choose from. I know it goes against your idea of building, but they might have something you could improve upon. Also wanted to add, the desk I have came with a metal peg board back wall. In order to create more space, I mounted my flat screen computer monitor to an articulating minister arm. Just throwing some ideas your way, hope it helps.

Comment

If you built a desk like the pic you posted, I would definetly consider the articulating monitor mount so you could still open and close the desk top. Try to incorporate a sturdy back wall for the mount and maybe add in some overhead storage if need be.

Comment

I like the storage under the desktop, that would be wicked.

What will you be using this desk for? I do search optimization and web design, so here are my preferences:

4 drawer L desk, Hutch (or wall hanging storage ABOVE monitors). I find it's important to have a lot of small organization slots near your workspace - keeps papers and other items off the desk. Maybe a drawer with space dedicated to emptying your pockets.

Make sure the desk is low enough that you can use one of the desks for writing/drawing/signing documents, but also high enough that you can mount a keyboard tray on the bottom. Having an adjustable ergonomic keyboard/mouse tray is important.

If you will be doing a lot of drawing/writing I would look into building something like the "herman miller envelop desk".

And don't buy a cheap ass chair. They will KILL your back.

Comment

I actually have a corner desk that I really like so I am going to build 3 cabinets that will support a granite top and wall mount a 42" led tv for monitor. That is on my project list. The desk top would basically be a funny shaped traingle. I have been pricing granite and they said about a 5x5 piece would do it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quadforce View Post
                        I actually have a corner desk that I really like so I am going to build 3 cabinets that will support a granite top and wall mount a 42" led tv for monitor. That is on my project list. The desk top would basically be a funny shaped traingle. I have been pricing granite and they said about a 5x5 piece would do it.
                        Just a quick note, I don't know anything about TV's, but a 1080p 42" TV will make a bad monitor. The resolution would be 1920x1080 pixels with 55 PPI (pixels per inch). An iphone 4 has a pixel density of 128 PPI, while 27-30" monitors can have resolutions of 2560x1600 (1600p) and 110 PPI.

So, moving up to the 42" TV, you will have a terrible picture. Your best bet would be a 27" monitor, or if you really want the size do a 30" monitor flanked by two portrait 20.1" monitors (Dell 2007fp's for example).

But, like I said, I know nothing about TV's and I have never tried to use one for a monitor other than for netflix.
                        Last edited by MustangPoser; 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple of places for ideas:
                          http://lifehacker.com/featured-workspace/ <-- not always homebuilt, but they always have neat desk setups
                          or http://www.ikeahackers.net/ <-- all of the stuff on here in based off of ikea products, but you might see something that works for you.

Comment

I got tired of having a huge glass desk that I could not do shit on so I built one out of steel that can handle anything I through at it. Hard to see from pic, but I put the monitor on an articulating arm so it could be moved out of the way. They keyboard/mouse is on a tray that slides away. I covered the doors and side with blue metal flake vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              That's a good point. It would be easier if I could find something I liked at a reasonable price that I could just modify instead of building one up from scratch. I wanted to build something like this without all the intricate innards and with different legs:

I like the top/box design, just need larger more generic spaces inside, and different legs.
                              If you're looking for something simple like that go to Ikea.. They have dozens of desktop surfaces of various shapes, sizes and colors. Then they have a number of different types of legs to attatch. The legs are mostly height adjustable as well. They also have a ton of add on accessories like tower stands, rolling file drawers, keyboard slideouts, etc.. And they are very reasonably priced.

I have had a basic curved shape for about 7 years and still looks and functions perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X