enlisting later in life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    I thought you still could but had to fill out some costodian documentation or something, for someone else to have custody if and when deployed.
    I tried a year or two ago and all of the branches said the same thing. I talked a few others who were recently enlisted/just got back and they said the same thing.

The only way around it is giving up actual custody.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
      What branch? I have a good friend that is a recruiter for the Marines that won't bullshit you.
      Lol. Recruiter and won't bullshit you don't belong in the same sentence. They may not bullshit as much, but they still do a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        Lol. Recruiter and won't bullshit you don't belong in the same sentence. They may not bullshit as much, but they still do a bit.
        Bullshit is handed down the ladder, so even if he feels he doesn't bs. Just telling people what his supervisor told him to say may be bullshitting.

So yeah, he BS's people.
        Ded

Comment

Some will not let you enlist if you are over a certain age unless you know someone, I believe the air force is 28.

Comment

One word and I can only speak from the USMC experience: Hellthefuckno

Comment

I would not.

Had a good buddy...still is a friend in DFW who joined later (late 20s) and one advantage was that the NCOs trusted him a little more due to maturity.

If I were to join later in life, I'd go balls to the wall on everything.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

In reponse to the original post...I'll admit some recruiters lie. I lied one single time to one person. I was a young soldier and I was told too. Other than that one time I always told the truth. That being said I didn't put many people in.
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I have seen a lot a guys come in in their late 20s early 30s and the ones who gave a shit just like anyone did fine. They were handed responsibility early and due to their maturity dealt with it better then a kid. I work with a guy who came in at 31. I am senior to him but he made all the ranks way faster then I did. He runs circles around most people cause he works while he is at work and is responsible.

Age helps but work ethic carries the day. Older dudes are happy to be there and get to work and get stuff done no questions asked. This new crop asks you eleventy billion questions and has to be constantly supervised. I prefer older recruits who have realized with effort and a good work ethic they rise above their peer if not age group.

Older ones who come in just for a job and the money get beat down and are gone pretty quick unless they figure it out.

Comment

We had an older guy in boot camp, pretty good shape. They made him Barracks Chief right off the bat. Then he was a Flight Leader. Don't know what happened to him after boot camp, but I figure if you show maturity and a little leadership, it might be a good fit for you. But by all means, go in as an officer if at all possible. Better pay, better food, and the chicks dig brass.
                    sigpic
                    Old Fords Rule

Comment

I have a buddy that went in at 40 I want to say. Anyways, he wanted to put his time in and to say he served and do the right thing. Thought the military was full of what the movies are. Came out pissed not realizing the military is in a majority a social welfare system of fucktards that mostly don't want to be there. He was later medically discharged after rolling down a hill.

In short, it's what you make of it and where you go.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        In short, it's what you make of it and where you go.
                        People don't believe that - especially the first part. It's very true though.

I feel bad hearing about bad experiences, but I've seen those "fucktards that mostly don't want to be there" plenty as well. Sad part is, a lot of them keep making rank cause a lot of people get out - and they are all that is left.

Still, it's what you make of it. Volunteering for the right things, stepping up, taking ownership, take any training you can get (even if losing days off)...etc...etc.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                        X