Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to air condition insulated 40x60 building ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have 5 tons trying to keep half of a 40x70 cool. It stayed at 90 on saturday when it was 106 outside. costs about $23 per day to run it like that..........
    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
      i have 5 tons trying to keep half of a 40x70 cool. It stayed at 90 on saturday when it was 106 outside. costs about $23 per day to run it like that..........
      Damn. Sounds like we may need to look into something more like a 10 ton unit. Is that running on 3 phase ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
        Artic AC & Heating (Mark Kuban) - (817) 834-2829
        LOL....

CRASH - "Hey, is this Mark Kuban?"
        Mark - "Yes, can I help you?
        CRASH - "Ok, this sounds a bit odd, but I need you to take some time off from the Mavericks and TV appearances cause I need you to help me with an AC installation for my shop...

Comment

This is a 72k BTU AC system, if you need a 3 phase converter let me know I know someone with monster 3 phase converter he is selling for around 3k, I think it is 60kw unit.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
            http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/3133976658.html

This is a 72k BTU AC system, if you need a 3 phase converter let me know I know someone with monster 3 phase converter he is selling for around 3k, I think it is 60kw unit.
            I use spot coolers in my server room when the piece of shit unit goes out, they work like a fucking champ.
            2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Are there residential ammonia working fluid ac systems yet?
              Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWtechie View Post
                http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/3133976658.html

Maybe two of them would work for his amount of cubic feet. It all depends on his expectations.

What color is the roof? What type of insulation and how thick?

Comment

400 sf per ton depending on ceiling height. post office has 16' ceilings, lots of workers and doors constantly open on the dock. we usually have around that ratio, but usually have drop ceilings for additional insulation.

Honestly, a well distributed, insulated duct, 6 ton system would probably work fine. If you plan on opening the doors a lot, a 10 ton system would work, but may short cycle a lot with the doors closed. either way, you arent going to like the electric bills. Hell, it costs me $23/mo just for my beer fridge and occassional work at my shop. $23/day has to suck!

You might consider two 3 ton units on opposite sides of the space for better distribution and don't forget to locate more air in the common work areas.

For those that recommend port-a-cools....FORGET them. they work for about 15 minutes until they fill the space with humidity.....then nothing works! I had their largest unit in my 1000sf shop and used it ONCE. didn't work worth a shit. Glad I got a great deal on it used and sold it for the same price.

spot coolers might be a good low cost option, but you MUST duct the condenser exhaust "somewhere outside" otherwise you are pissing on your own leg.....and you have to empty the condensate bucket all the time.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Comment

probably 2.. 5 ton units as long as the doors dont swing a lot it they do, add a couple large window units (220v) to piggy back the 5 ton units... I manage a restaruant and we have 8 units 3 5ton, 2 4ton 2,3 ton and one broken one
                    "PSH!!!"

Comment

My body shop has 3- 5ton units(14 seer I think ) the building is 50x80 16ft side walls insulated. One unit is zoned for a 1000sq ft game room, upstairs office 150 sq ft and a open area upstairs 800 sq ft. The two units for the main shop can keep the shop at 80 when it's 100 outside. I can run the third unit on the open area upstairs the help if needed (when it's over a 100 or we loose temp by opening doors to move cars). I run them from about 11 am to 6 pm m-thursday the bill is around $550.00 the bill without air is usually $250.00. Small price to pay to not work in the heat. Cost for units and install was about $15k in 2005.
                      Last edited by gt500; 07-24-2012, 06:21 AM. Reason: put in wrong price

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                        Damn. Sounds like we may need to look into something more like a 10 ton unit. Is that running on 3 phase ?
                        i don't have 3 phase available to my location.
                        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

The roof is white, and the insulation is about 4" thick and is the stuff that comes in big rolls.

If the shop were air conditioned, we would almost never raise the doors.

Comment

Removing & Selling my 5 ton split AC (& heat) system out of my garage soon (maybe next week). comes with duct work & vents, compressor, HVAC evaporator/blower/heater assy, drip pan... basically the whole system.

Asking $650.00 OBO.

PM if interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X