Sexual assault victim in trouble for tweeting the names of her attackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexual assault victim in trouble for tweeting the names of her attackers

Good for her for doing what she thinks is right and standing behind it.

A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted could face contempt of court charges after she tweeted the names of her juvenile attackers.

Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old victim, was frustrated by a plea deal reached late last month by the two boys who assaulted her, and took to Twitter to expose them--violating a court order to keep their names confidential.

"There you go, lock me up," Dietrich tweeted after naming the perpetrators. "I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell." Her Twitter account has since been closed.

Attorneys for the attackers asked a Jefferson District Court judge to hold Dietrich in contempt for lashing out on Twitter. She could face up to 180 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted. The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack.

"So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys," Dietrich told Louisville's Courier-Journal. "I'm at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it. If they really feel it's necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don't understand justice."

Dietrich was assaulted by the pair after passing out at a party. They later shared photos of the assault with friends.

"For months, I cried myself to sleep," Dietrich said. "I couldn't go out in public places."

On June 26, the boys pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual abuse and misdemeanor voyeurism. Terms of their plea agreement were not released.

"They got off very easy," Dietrich, who says she was unaware of the plea agreement before it was announced in court, said in her interview with the newspaper.

"They said I can't talk about it or I'll be locked up," Dietrich tweeted after hearing, according to the paper. "So I'm waiting for them to read this and lock me up."

"[Protecting rapists] is more important than getting justice for the victim in Louisville," she added.

A hearing for the contempt of court charge is scheduled for July 30. Attorneys for Dietrich want it open to the media, while the boys lawyers want it closed.
    Both the Gannett-owned Courier-Journal and Dietrich's attorneys "have filed motions to open the proceedings, arguing she has a First Amendment right to speak about what happened in her case," the newspaper said.

An online petition asking the judge to throw out the charges against Dietrich, launched Saturday, has already accumulated hundreds of signatures.

"[She] should not be legally barred from talking about what happened to her," Gregg Leslie, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, told the Associated Press. "That's a wide-ranging restraint on speech."

If the judge moves and they put her in jail that fucker needs to be drug out from behind the bench and and a .45 deployed into his skull.

Comment

I am willing to bet with this much attention on it, she's not held in contempt. Would you want to be the judge (who has to run for reelection at some point) who locked up a rape victim for talking about the rape? Fuck the DA for doing the plea bargain
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        I am willing to bet with this much attention on it, she's not held in contempt. Would you want to be the judge (who has to run for reelection at some point) who locked up a rape victim for talking about the rape? Fuck the DA for doing the plea bargain
        The judicial system is about the body count and isn't scored on what is right or wrong anymore. A fast plea is a victory for the DA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          The judicial system is about the body count and isn't scored on what is right or wrong anymore. A fast plea is a victory for the DA.
          Exactly. I was reading through the comments on the story and no one thought about the DA. No one.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            If they took he plea deal, they're guilty. Why protect the guilty? They'd have to register as sex offenders anyway, right?
            Last edited by Treasure Chest; 07-22-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

If it were my daughter, being named would be the least of their worries. Daddy's don't play around with that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                If they took he plea deal, they're guilty. Why protect the guilty? They'd have to register as sex offenders anyway, right?
                Somehow, I doubt it. That's probably why the judge didn't want their names released and protected them

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  If it were my daughter, being named would be the least of their worries. Daddy's don't play around with that shit.
                  I was telling a few friends that were I the dad and justice failed like that, I'd be waiting for them to show up for the contempt hearing

Comment

Exactly! If that were my daughter, I'd Carl Lee Hailey their asses...
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Total horse shit! The D.A. should have his ass beat for even entertaining that plea deal and then not discussing it with the victim.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                      George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        If the judge moves and they put her in jail that fucker needs to be drug out from behind the bench and and a .45 deployed into his skull.
                        Agreed!

I'd bet tempted, even if it weren't my daughter, and be on trial if it were.
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I agree

Comment

Fuck that judge.

Comment

This Country is a f'ing mess, how about beating the crap out of those boy's, that's a start!

Comment

Working...
                              X