Great Alaskan Roadtrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Alaskan Roadtrip

August 17th. Fly into Portland, Oregon, get rental. Head to Timberline Lodge in the mountains. The Timberline was the hotel that was used for the exterior shots of The Shining. Get up and head to Mt St Helens and Seattle. Tour Seattle Underground and Kurt Cobains house. Head to Vancouver, Canada. Stalk Phil, see what trouble is to be had. Head north on the Alaskan Highway through British Columbia and Yukon to Juneau, Alaska. Take dogsled glacier tour. Head back to Portland. I've been wanting to do this trip for over ten years.

Open to other suggestions in the line of sight, especially Phil's on Vancouver. This is going to be bitchin'.

Lucky duck! You can bring one of my Alaskan Malamutes back a souvenir from Kenai as he is named after there.

Comment

At least it's paved now (mostly). I drove from Ft Worth to Anchorage back in the 80's in my CJ7. Long ass drive on a lonesome road but it is one helluva cool trip though.

Comment

^^^^
        Literally I bet.

Comment

Driving through BC is awesome, I've driven from Vancouver to Calgary and back many times. I always see lots of wildlife.... bear, elk, rams, eagles, etc. Every time I see something.

If you like Dim Sum, Western Lake Chinese Restaurant in Vancouver is the best I've had anywhere. Or if you like sushi, Sushi Garden off Kingsway is awesome, and cheap.

Comment

I'm pretty much indifferent to Chinese food, but I love sushi. This will be the first time I've done anything extended in Canada. I've been just across Niagara Falls when I was about 11, so this should be interesting. Also very interested in the wildlife. Hell, I was geeking out when 5 raccoons crossed Green Oaks last night and took up residence in a tree next to my balcony.

Comment

This should be great. Vancouver is beautiful. The advice used to be to take a spare for every tire, and an extra windshield for the alcan. I would at least make sure you're well insured.

I've never gone past Vancouver, but I've seen pictures from several trips and the scenery, wildlife, glaciers, and other assorted views are worth the trip.

Good luck, take a good long range lens, and be careful.
              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                This should be great. Vancouver is beautiful. The advice used to be to take a spare for every tire, and an extra windshield for the alcan. I would at least make sure you're well insured.

I've never gone past Vancouver, but I've seen pictures from several trips and the scenery, wildlife, glaciers, and other assorted views are worth the trip.

Good luck, take a good long range lens, and be careful.

From the research I've done the road has received massive improvements and isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be. A lot of the more hazardous areas have been bypassed. It is currently paved over its entire length. Guess I'll find out!

Comment

Do yourself a favor, drive 2 hours north of Vancouver, and spend an afternoon in Whistler, stay overnight, then head west to AK the next morning. Whistler is absolutely beautiful. Winter Olympics were held there.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

What will you be driving?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                      What will you be driving?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I reserved a Mercedes GLK350, then when they emailed me the confirmation it said that over 900 miles was .39 cents a mile. Fuck that! So it looks like I'll be in something fullsize luxury, like a Lincoln Towncar or some such. I'll probably sleep in the fucker a few times, so I figured it might as well be comfortable.

Depending on what kind of time I'm making, I might try to make it to Anchorage, but it is going to be cutting it pretty thin. On the other hand, the Roswell trip I just took was a sort of test run, and I made way better time than I thought I would. Of course I was also maintaining 90mph+ on that, and I'm not sure what these road conditions are going to be like.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
                        At least it's paved now (mostly). I drove from Ft Worth to Anchorage back in the 80's in my CJ7. Long ass drive on a lonesome road but it is one helluva cool trip though.
                        Holy shit, I don't even like driving our CJ7 from Midland to Odessa

Comment

I'm going to Alaska on the 18th. Flying into Fairbanks and out of Anchorage on the 26th
                          BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
                          I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
                          PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

Sounds like an awesome driving trip! Take plenty of pictures. Have fun!

Comment

What is something like this expected to cost you?

Sounds like this trip tops your California run you went on with 46Bird and that solo drive to the Gulf (I think you went to the Gulf).

Have fun dude, that is gonna be bad ass and I am super jealous.

Comment

Working...
                              X