Great Alaskan Roadtrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
    Sweet shit man, sounds like it was an adventure alright! You have to fly in a small plane in Alaska, it's mandatory! Looks like it would be an awesome place to go hunt or fish for a few weeks. Planning on doing that after Moab next year.

After we "landed" (it felt more like being on the back of an insect coming down to perch on something) I told the pilot it was the first time I'd been in a plane like that and it was a lot of fun. He looked at me incredulously and asked how I had never managed to fly on one before. I told him in Texas if we want to go somewhere we just get in our car and drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
      I like this pic better than your favorite. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great trip.

Comment

• Great trip, great pics and stories.

How do you go south to Alaska?
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
          Great trip, great pics and stories.

How do you go south to Alaska?

You have to hook down from Whitehorse. The mountains get in the way of building a northern or western road.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Sweet shit man, sounds like it was an adventure alright! You have to fly in a small plane in Alaska, it's mandatory! Looks like it would be an awesome place to go hunt or fish for a few weeks. Planning on doing that after Moab next year.
            My Niece and her husband are hunting and fishing guides in Soldotna, AK. They have several boats, both for the ocean and the rivers, and are pretty good. I think they may even have opened a lodge if I remember right. My brother even took clients up there and used them. Let me know if you're interested and I can get you their contact info.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
              You have to hook down from Whitehorse. The mountains get in the way of building a northern or western road.
              It makes sense looking at it on the map, just sounded backwards. They even have a song for it.
              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Bad ass pictures eric! Looks like you had an awesome time
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

• who owns the Cobain house now?

Comment

• badass trip, thanks for sharing. Im planning a similar trip and had a few questions.

If you had it to do over again, what would you do different?

what vehicle would you choose if you did it again?

My route will include Valdez, Homer and Haines hopefully. As much as I hear about Banff and Whistler I might see how I can work those in.

Would a satellite phone be worth the $$? Some of those stretches can be pretty far without communication. Just getting my planning on paper going, thanks for any input........

Comment

• toyota landcruiser, ford bronco, jeep anything.. why dont ya'll just go to www.expeditionportal.com if you wanna discuss overlanding? are there truly like 12 people racing on this site anymore?
                      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post
                        toyota landcruiser, ford bronco, jeep anything.. why dont ya'll just go to www.expeditionportal.com if you wanna discuss overlanding? are there truly like 12 people racing on this site anymore?
                        What are you racing NayNig?
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• i have a '13 cts-v and an '04 gto at my ready disposal.. my truck is still in the works but it will run in the 6's and 10's.... sooo, you wanna lock something in for the time being?
                          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                            What are you racing NayNig?
                            my post was in response to his asking the guy who took a towncar through alaska.. if you clicked the link you'd see it is informative to the type of journey he is seeking
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• I think an AWD Subaru would be the best vehicle choice, but I don't know where you'd rent it. I wouldn't bother with 4wd unless you're planning on doing real offroading or are up there during the winter months. I'd get something comfortable because a lot of the roads are shit.

I personally wouldn't bother with a sat phone but that's just me. I enjoy the adventure, even if I was a bit nervous being out of communication that long. If it was more than me I was worried about I would probably spring though.

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post
                                toyota landcruiser, ford bronco, jeep anything.. why dont ya'll just go to www.expeditionportal.com if you wanna discuss overlanding? are there truly like 12 people racing on this site anymore?
                                They aren't talking about overlanding, and The Back Porch has never been about racing.

Comment

Working...
                                X