Great Alaskan Roadtrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUNCH View Post
    Love the pics and the stories man. I'm getting married in May and was planning on traveling to the Virgin Islands for a honeymoon, but all of these pics are making my second guess myself and want to plan something like this. The country up there looks amazing.
    I'd rather do the Virgin Islands in May, than Yukon/Alaska in May. When are you getting married and honeymooning? If its close to the end of the month, and you're honeymooning in June, you have the added benefit of being on the island for Carnival season.
    Last edited by Treasure Chest; 09-09-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUNCH View Post
      Love the pics and the stories man. I'm getting married in May and was planning on traveling to the Virgin Islands for a honeymoon, but all of these pics are making my second guess myself and want to plan something like this. The country up there looks amazing.
      Unless your fiance is a truly phenomenal woman, there is a limit to how many non-beach vacations that she wants to be a part of. There isn't a woman alive that doesn't enjoy a tropical beach.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
        Unless your fiance is a truly phenomenal woman, there is a limit to how many non-beach vacations that she wants to be a part of. There isn't a woman alive that doesn't enjoy a tropical beach.

I tend to agree. If Hutch is serious though, I would suggest perhaps considering an Alaskan cruise.

Not sure if I'll get more pictures up today or not, it's kind of a beating. The story of how I actually ended up getting to Juneau is interesting though.

Comment

While this is true, personally, I wouldn't want to be on a road trip, in the cold, during a time where I'm supposed to be naked and having as much sex as humanly possible. Any other time, all bets would be off, and I'd be up for a roadtrip adventure.

Comment

Exactly. Our honeymoon is in 2 months and headed to Belize! First vacation together is tropical. The next one will be snowboarding in colorado.
            May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
            Semper Fi

Comment

• Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
              While this is true, personally, I wouldn't want to be on a road trip, in the cold, during a time where I'm supposed to be naked and having as much sex as humanly possible. Any other time, all bets would be off, and I'd be up for a roadtrip adventure.
              Exactly. You will feel the same about every vacation, with possibly five exceptions throughout your life. Bitches don't like cold, are generally unimpressed by mountains and are seemingly unfazed by the cool morning breeze blowing through through a valley with a stream babbling in the background.

Comment

• So I take it ladies sex in a freezing cold tent doesn't constitute a good honeymoon?

Comment

Exactly. You will feel the same about every vacation, with possibly five exceptions throughout your life. Bitches don't like cold, are generally unimpressed by mountains and are seemingly unfazed by the cool morning breeze blowing through through a valley with a stream babbling in the background.
                  I love the mountains! However it is a lot easier to appreciate the gorgeousness when you have a nice motorhome to retreat to when it gets dark, cold, and bear-y outside
                  BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
                  I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
                  PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

I love mountains, I love road trips, and I love camping. It's just not my ideal honeymoon.

Comment

• wharz update?

Comment

• Originally posted by EW View Post
                        wharz update?

Lol, actually finished writing and uploading last night. It'll all be up by the end of the weekend. Been busy house shopping and almost bought another car. Been hectic.

Comment

• I bail out of my room in Whitehorse early and see this badass old boat on the way out of town. Then Emerald Lake, and I’m heading back south to Alaska. I cross the border early in the morning, and come across this area where thousands of little stone men have been built. Kind of creepy. I’m fighting tour busses all over the place, but most of them are headed the opposite direction, along with a line of about 30 Jeep Wranglers with some adventure company logo printed on the side.

Boo!

Comment

• I make it into Skagway, Alaska, and start looking around for the ferry to Juneau. My GPS starts inventing streets that don’t exist. The main downtown area is clogged almost as bad as Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras (slight exaggeration) with cruise ship passengers being typical tourist assholes. I soon discover that in my research I made quite a major miscalculation. In my experience, you go drive up to a ferry, take it across to your destination, and that’s that. This ferry takes 6 or 7 hours and only runs twice a day. It’s almost noon and the next one isn’t in town until 7pm. Fuck. I jump on my phone looking for solutions and discover a place called Air Excursions. Now, like I was talking about when I was at Mt. Hood, I don’t care for heights much. I really don’t like flying either. But I’m not wasting an entire half day of vacation. I head over to Air Excursions, and find out there is a flight leaving in 45 minutes for Juneau. $125 later, and I’m climbing into this little 4 seater prop plane, with a stack of boxed mail in the other passenger seat and an empty co-pilot seat. The pilot takes off in this old rattle trap and something clicks inside my head. This little bastard of an airplane reminds me of my 57 Chevy, rattles, squeaking, meandering all over the place with the wind, loud, and feeling like it could die at any minute. For some reason this comforts me. In a big jet, I jump at every bit of turbulence or weird noise. This thing was so overbearing with seeming to be barely held together, that it allowed me to completely relax and enjoy the scenery. Wow. Spectacular. Can one of you guys that is good with planes identify what this was I was in?

Comment

• While I had been waiting for take off, the Dogsled people called and said they were booked, and that today was the only day they could take me. Perfect! We land and I head to the hotel, then go grab the first actual meal I’ve had in 2 days. Jump on a bus and head to downtown Juneau, and get a call that the sled tour had to be cancelled due to weather. Bummer. I walk around downtown rather thoroughly, and while it is beautiful with lots of eskimo art and totems, there isn’t a heck of a lot to do. The cold is destroying my back, so I retire to the hotel and medicate with a $6.19 bag of Doritos and a roast beef sandwich. Finally find a coke. This country must be what keeps Pepsi in business. Yack.

Comment

• The next morning I load up and head back to the airport. Book my flight, and Skagway is having heavy fog, so it is delayed. And delayed. And delayed. I spend the entire day in the airport until 5, when I realize that I better get to the ferry if I want to make it back to Skagway any time soon. End up on M/T Matanusk. I decide to get a private room and get some sleep for an extra 50 bucks. Long wasted day.

Comment

Working...
                                X