Insulating a garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating a garage

I just bought a new home and the garage isn't insulated Anyways it's a three car garage tandem design. Would it be cheaper to have somebody cut holes in my sheet rock and blow in insulation or should I just rip off the sheet rock and staple in rolls of insulation? The sheet rock is not textured or painted anyways.

If I have it blown in I will probably have a pro do it because all of the holes will also need to be patched up. If I rip off the current drywall I could do that myself and save money that way. Just have to buy sheet rock and insulation.

I would think it's easier to get the spray in.

Which way do your doors face? You thinking of adding climate control?

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
      I would think it's easier to get the spray in.

Which way do your doors face?
      The garage door faces North. The uninsulated wall faces West. The house next door is close enough to piss on so it should at least be shaded and not in direct sun except for the noon hours.

Comment

It's a tandem 3 car garage. On the left side is the single car and on the right is a deep two car. The garage door faces North

Comment

Nice place. You need some foliage on that corner. I'd plant some shade before I tore into the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
            Nice place. You need some foliage on that corner. I'd plant some shade before I tore into the wall.
            Thanks, I will look into planting a tree there. Maybe just insulating the actual garage door.

Comment

Most garages exterior walls are not insulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                Most garages exterior walls are not insulated.
                Yeah. I'd insulate the door with a kit from Home Depot and get a nice space heater.

Comment

I'm not as worried about heating the garage as I am cooling it down in the 9 months of summer here in South West Arizona. Does anybody have any ideas on how to run a window unit without a window? Maybe use some A/C ducting to vent it?

Comment

Subscribing.

I closed on my new house yesterday (thanks SVT Lurch). I need to have my garage insulated as well. Fortunately, the garage is mostly shaded, so it is acceptable for now. I want to be able to use it as my workshop, all year around.

I've got a small propane heater that is good for the winter, but I think I'll be getting a portable AC unit for the summer..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I think you will find it far easier to call one of the wall foaming companies to do it.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                        I'm not as worried about heating the garage as I am cooling it down in the 9 months of summer here in South West Arizona. Does anybody have any ideas on how to run a window unit without a window? Maybe use some A/C ducting to vent it?
                        There are wall units you can buy as well. I had an A/C guy suggest using a hotel style A/C system which supposedly has a lot less wall-to-outside intrusion over a regular wall unit. They supposedly move a lot more air.

Comment

I was also going to epoxy my garage floor. Is the concrete dry enough after about three months after pouring?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Comment

You in Tucson?

I used the foam baord they sell at home depot and cut to fit into each panel on the door and then used the Great Stuff foam on the edges to hold it in. It helped alot with mine but I insulated the walls while the house was going up and did the attic after moving in. I used a portable and vented it into the attic for awhile but now it has 12" feed and 12" filtered return since we upgraded the AC system.

My sister in law lives out there in rita ranch and was in vail before that and both of there houses had all the outside walls insulated standard.

Comment

I don't mean to hijack here but does anyone else have garage door insulators? This thread got me thinking and its way to hot in my garage. I wonder if door panels alone will help?
                              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Working...
                              X