Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When / how do you switch your homestead exemption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When / how do you switch your homestead exemption?

I need to switch my homestead exemption from my old house to the new one. I still own the old house but renting it out. When/how is this done? My new house is also in a different county if that makes a difference.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    I need to switch my homestead exemption from my old house to the new one. I still own the old house but renting it out. When/how is this done? My new house is also in a different county if that makes a difference.
    Should be as easy as telling the new county you want to start it and telling the old one you want to stop.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      I live in tarrant county, for us you have to live in the house as of January 1. We moved in a month ago, so we wouldn't be able to file for a homestead exemption until next year.

I'm a first timer so I haven't done it but it seems pretty clear on their website.

Edit: Link to the page on tad.org

Also, here is what they say on when to file:

Return the form to the appraisal district after January 1, but no later than April 30. You may file for a late homestead exemption up to one year after the date the taxes became delinquent. You will get a new tax bill with a lower amount or a refund if you already paid.
      Last edited by slow06; 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM.
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
      -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
      X